Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

AstroWolvy

Chromosphere Flares Activity and prominences

I just finished to work on the data of 2 weeks ago.

The animation represent a close up portion of the Sun of 4 May. Images taken with a 100 ed refractor using a Daystar h-alpha filter at a focal of 2200mm, I reduced the focal do to a terrible seeing.

I decided to follow for a couple of hours the NOAA 1734 zone, the bigger one of the week with the hope to catch a big X flares like the yeasterday one. Even if the seeing and the video compression had blured alot of details, the filaments and spicules movements are evident, also a couple of mini flares are visible during the time-lapse. Hope in bigger one next time. :)

The mosaic instead was captured the last weekend at the same focal of 2200, 6 images at different exposure for disc and proms (click on it for the zoom).

I also captured a serie of movies to assemble a time-lapse of the prominence, but still on working.

8739464636_a4e7ee1268_c_d.jpg

post-27443-0-61735600-1368638023_thumb.j

• Like 1

Wonderful work Paolo :) the detail and quality is superb :)

Alexandra

Gorgeous images. Love the proms.

James

Love these kind of shots great work.

This maybe a silly ask but can i use a Daystar H alpha filter with my C8 & 600D (or DMK) & capture stuff like this ?

I thought l needed a dedicated solar scope , if i can i assume i still need the Baader Solar filter on as well ?

Look forward to some more of your captures.

This maybe a silly ask but can i use a Daystar H alpha filter with my C8 & 600D (or DMK) & capture stuff like this ?

I thought l needed a dedicated solar scope , if i can i assume i still need the Baader Solar filter on as well ?

you can use a daystar o solar spectrum filter (they work at the same way) with any instrument.

You only has to follow 2 rule.

1. an Erf filter in front of the telescope to reduce the energy incoming

2. reach an f/30 optic before the filter, you can then use a reducer after it (i always do)

With the reflector telescope it is used the off-axys reduction, but in a C8 the free glass is too small (63mm) to justify the cost, you need a C11-C14 to reach a 90-115mm. Consider that with those big tubes you will fight against inside turbolence.

Usually below 20cm is preferred the refractor system.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MalVeauX
      Hey all,
      I made an acquisition and processing tutorial a while back (3 years ago? Yikes!) and it is fairly dated in terms of what I'm doing these days. I've been asked for a long time to make a new one showing what I'm doing these days. Specifically how I'm processing a single shot image for both the surface and prominences and how to process them together to show prominences and the surface at once. I've abandoned doing split images and composites and strictly work from one image using layers. Acquisition does not use gamma at all anymore. Nothing terribly fancy, but it's not exactly intuitive so hopefully this new video will illustrate most of the fundamentals to get you started. Instead of an hour, this time it's only 18 minutes. It's real time from start to finish. I'm sorry for the long "waiting periods" where I'm just waiting for the software to finish its routine, it lasts 1.5 minutes and 30 seconds tops typically at first. The first 4 minutes is literally just stacking & alignment in AS!3. I typically will go faster than this, but wanted to slow down enough to try to talk through what I'm doing as I do it. Hopefully you can see each action on the screen. I may have made a few mistakes or said a few incorrect things or terms, forgive me for that, this is not my day job. I really hope it helps folk get more into processing as its not difficult or intimidating when you see a simple process with only a few things that are used. The key is good data to begin with and a good exposure value. Today's data came from a 100mm F10 achromatic refractor and an ASI290MM camera with an HA filter. I used FireCapture to acquire the data with a defocused flat frame. No gamma is used. I target anywhere from 65% to 72% histogram fill. That's it! The processing is fast and simple. I have a few presets that I use, but they are all defaults in Photoshop. A lot of the numbers I use for parameters are based on image scale, so keep that in mind, experiment with your own values. The only preset I use that is not a default is my coloring scheme. I color with levels in Photoshop, and my values are Red: 1.6, Green 0.8, Blue 0.2 (these are mid-point values).
      Processing Tutorial Video (18 minutes):
      https://youtu.be/RJvJEoVS0oU
      RAW (.TIF) files available here to practice on (the same images you will see below as RAW TIFs):
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zjeoux7YPZpGjlRGtX6fH7CH2PhB-dzv
      Video for Acquisition, Focus, Flat Calibration and Exposure (20 minutes):
      (Please let me know if any links do not work)
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Results from today using this work flow method.
      Colored:

B&W:

SSM data (sampled during 1.5~2 arc-second seeing conditions):

Equipment for today:
      100mm F10 Frac (Omni XLT 120mm F8.3 masked to 4")
      Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (ERF)
      PST etalon + BF10mm
      ASI290MM
      SSM (for fun, no automation)

Very best,

• By Hughsie
      I first came across the term ‘Solargraphy’ on this forum and was directed to website dedicated to the art of Solargraphy.
      This is a basic photographic method of recording the path of the Sun as the year progresses. This image commenced on 22 June 2019, the day after the Summer Solstice when the Sun was at its highest altitude in the noon day sky and finished on 22 December 2019, the Winter Solstice when the Sun is at its lowest point at noon. The silhouette of the neighbouring properties can also be made out in the picture.
      Using a basic pinhole camera I was able to record every clear day the track of the Sun across the southern sky, each day  the Sun’s altitude was getting slightly lower.
      Whilst the camera is basic, the main challenge is to avoid water damage and as you can see from the image some rain has managed to find its way inside. However, the pinhole camera is cheap to make with the following purchases made via Amazon;
      100 cable ties £5.49
      20 35mm plastic film canisters £8.88
      100 sheets of Ilford Multigrade 4 glossy photographic paper £25.98
      The remaining items were already in the house (drill bit, tinfoil, electrical and duct tape).
      Given the potential for disaster I made two pinhole camera’s and one of them provided this image, the other was washed out due to rain water getting in. Making more than one camera certainly improves the chances of success. The camera's themselves were attached with cable ties to the down pipe of the guttering and facing South.
      Anyone wishing to learn more about Solargraphy and how to construct the pinhole camera should check out Tarja Trygg's website http://www.solargraphy.com/index.php .

• By BabyPepper
      Connecting the corona to the photoshphere and chromosphere.

http://www.bbso.njit.edu/  November 15th News.  Nov 15, 2019: Formation of solar spicules and subsequent coronal heating unveiled

Link to big bear observatory nov 15th movie capture http://www.bbso.njit.edu/scinews/LayeredMovie.mp4   <

A side note here, linking back to my own thread linking the photosphere to the chromorosphere and also apparently the zone of ionization where calcium atoms become singly ionized..    

Dutch open telescope Calcium line 397nm                                                  Apollo Lasky Hydrogen Line 656nm
           <br>     
    • By BabyPepper
      160mm x 1600mm + Lunt LS50C etalon.
      Thanks for looking!
            <br>    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.