Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astromaster 114eq - Tripod screws

Does anybody know the dimensions for the screws mounted on the knobs that locks the RA setting and DEC setting for this telescope? The knob that comes with it is small and I often get them confused with the knob that locks the OTA assembly to the GEM (especially at night). The manual doesn't indicate the screw sizes and was wondering if anyone know the size? Thanks.

Ron

I have the same mount and reflector. I went to a pet shop and purchased a smaller than normal size (red) tennis ball, cut a cross shape slit on one side and placed it over the mounting knob so as to be able to feel the tennis ball in the dark. This keeps me from turning the mounting knob and releasing the OTA from the mount and having it crash to the ground. The red tennis ball kinda looks cool on the mount and provokes a lot of "what's with the red tennis ball?" inquiries.

post-29904-0-98696600-1368561108.jpg This is how it looks on my AM 114EQ CG-2 mount.

Awesome! The "red" tennis ball really gives it character. After seeing yours, I can't settle with a hum-drum yellow or green. I got to give it a little flare. So now my next decision is what color to go with. Thanks again.

Ron

Yeah I was quite surprised to see they had the "red" tennis balls and that they were small was a bonus. It was just perfect to put over that mounting knob to keep me from touching it while observing.

Archived