Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello to all from Bristol UK

AlexB67

Hello, I live in Hanham Bristol and looking forward to getting started in this beautiful hobby. After much reading, umming an ahhing about what to buy I finally bought my first scope, a small dob Heritage 130p Flextube and ready to go. So far I only had one good chance to get it out since last week with current weather and all, but enjoyed that one night very much.

Initially I see myself spending time just doing visual observing, I have no real interest or feel and urge to get into imaging photography side, I am however a spectroscopist by education, so spectroscopy is something that would most likely interest me in the future ... but one step at a time as they say :)

The Bristol astronomy society also seems interesting, after a few more goes myself I should give them a visit also.

All Best to everyone and may the photons be with you :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. Bristol astronomical society are worth a visit but they are not hot on the observing side of astronomy in my experience. Congratulations on getting hold of your first scope and the particular model comes highly recommended by many here who own the same scope - just have to wait for the clouds to clear! I would certainly suggest downloading "Stellarium" which is a great tool for helping you to learn the night sky and to help you find objects of interest. In addition may I suggest that you get hold of a copy of "Turn Left at Orion" which will provide you with a list of some 100 objects that you can observe using the enclosed maps and instructions which are pretty comprehensive. The total list is divided into the four seasons (spring, summer etc) and there is plenty of interesting background information about the objects too which will help you keep your interest going when the clouds come in. You can take a look here if you want to check out the layout of the book.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum :smiley:

I'm from Portishead so not too far away from you. One thing that Bristol AS have organised are public viewing evenings at the National Trust's Tyntesfield House just SE of Bristol. I think you contact the property direct to express an interest.

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. Bristol astronomical society are worth a visit but they are not hot on the observing side of astronomy in my experience. Congratulations on getting hold of your first scope and the particular model comes highly recommended by many here who own the same scope - just have to wait for the clouds to clear! I would certainly suggest downloading "Stellarium" which is a great tool for helping you to learn the night sky and to help you find objects of interest. In addition may I suggest that you get hold of a copy of "Turn Left at Orion" which will provide you with a list of some 100 objects that you can observe using the enclosed maps and instructions which are pretty comprehensive. The total list is divided into the four seasons (spring, summer etc) and there is plenty of interesting background information about the objects too which will help you keep your interest going when the clouds come in. You can take a look here if you want to check out the layout of the book.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Many thanks for all the warm welcomes, thank you.

I already have Stellarium installed, and bought TLAO. I had many an hour on stellarium, so much fun, I like the fact you can actually put in the scope parameters and eye pieces to help to simulate the scope, This has helped me greatly, a great tool indeed :)

Hi Alex,

Welcome to SGL. I see that JamesM has given good advice as per usual.

He is worth listening to.

Incidentally, the Sky at Night magazine do articles on monthly sky views which are helpful.

There are star parties which are another avenue for meeting SGL members.

There is the main SGL meeting near Hereford in March, where there is a great variety of Astro

gear, software and help available.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Alex and a warm welcome to the forum, I also have the Heritage 130p and it's an excellent little scope, you wont be disappointed with the views from it :smiley:

Welcome to SGL Alex! As a member of Bristol Astrosoc I would also encourage you to come along to our sessions but then I would say that! We are about a 50:50 mix of armchair astronomers and observers and we number 120 members although a weekly attendance is more like 50. We do have an observatory and operate 12" and 18" scopes from the site. As others note we also have an active outreach programme which might be another way to meet us. We are not so hot on astro-photography (with one or two very notable exceptions!) but we are enthusiasts and it's often nice just to meet up and have a coffee with people who actually like to hear about this 'astro-stuff' in the flesh (i can hear my family groaning already!)

Archived