Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi, It's Tim from Andover, Hampshire

Warden

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well got the telescope on Saturday night for my birthday as promised, conveniently had some brilliant weather over the May bank holiday so thought I'd test it out, Saturday night was a bit hazy but managed some reasonable lunar viewing picking up the features of the lunar surface really nicely. Sunday night however I managed to pick up Saturn just after sun down, WOW, even with the supplied eye pieces and barlow of the 1145p, which have a reputation of being good but not great, it still picked up the planet and it's rings quite nicely in reasonable detail, small image but clear enough. Have yet to pick up Jupiter but it's on my list :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks all, so 2 years have passed since I acquired my first scope and lots has happened (including the birth of my baby boy #proudDad), but my enthusiasm towards astronomy definitely hasn't dampened any. In no particular order:

1) Bought a new scope - Celestron Nexstar Evolution 6

2) Bought a new camera - Canon EOS1100d

3) Done some digiscoping with my mobile phone - not bad results for a mobile I think

4) licensed a copy of backyardEOS and learning the ropes of lights, darks, flats and bias shots

5) bought an ASI120MC CMOS camera (arrived today haven't yet had a chance to try it out)

6) booked a camping weekend with some like minded amateur astronomers at work (this weekend - very much looking forward to it)

7) probably the most significant is I started a blog with a mate at work to document as I learn things (as well as other space orientated interests) (I'm solarTim and done most of the posts thus far) - https://astronomynew....wordpress.com/

Feel free to check out the blog, leave comments, check out the pictures and I've reviewed the two scopes that I own just based on my own experience with them. I do find blogging about it does help to maintain a high level of interest rather than waxing and waning interest in other hobbies. I finally did get the ring nebula in my eye piece ;-) and it was glorious, tried to photo it but strangely the mobile could only pick up the blue out of the inner bit and haven't managed to get my EOS aligned with it yet. I do find without an Equatorial mount that anything longer than 30 second exposures causes a few issues with star trails and the tracking motion of the Altazimuth mount, so I'm learning that lots of short exposures stacked seems to work better for me than longer exposures at the moment, been eyeing up one of those equatorial wedges for the mount but OMG they're expensive!!!

Anyways, that's me done, looking forward to the weekend and the potential of capturing the bloodmoon on the monday morning (very early haven't decided to sleep and set an alarm or just pull an all nighter and the day off work the next day using a holiday), praying the clouds part for that.  :)

Clear skies everyone,

Tim

Archived