Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

First Go at NB - Crescent Neb

Well, I did my research and this seems a popular target for the narrow-band addicts. I think it's a bit like fishing though - you have to be patient...

I took these subs 10 days ago, over 2 nights, but have only just processed them - please go easy, as I've got a lot to learn here, and am on a steep curve with the pixinsight demo.

I haven't got automation, but did suss out that I can get the scope to park nose down when it gets close to hitting the tripod with EQmod, so the Oiii subs here were taken while I was asleep (people at work were starting to think I was moonlighting). Did set my alarm for 0500 just in case, but all was well. After taking the Ha subs the previous night I needed some sleep.

7 by 30 mins Ha (unbinned) and 4 by 30 mins Oiii (bin2). The both the green and blue channels are straight from the Oiii.

Won't put Olly out of business, but this is a new PB for me. Taken with a 460ex and Wave 115 refractor. (I know I can't do NB with the DSLR).

post-24538-0-72586400-1368386271_thumb.j

• Like 7

Coming along very nicely.

An interesting target, and very different in Ha and OIII, and with plenty of OIII emission which you've captured nicely with the binned subs.

I think you should throw a couple more nights at it to get the noise down a bit, although the window for catching this is narrowing at the moment due to the dawn twighlight.

I too am shooting subs of this, but I won't be getting many more until later in the summer I suspect.

Cheers

Rob

Coming along very nicely.

An interesting target, and very different in Ha and OIII, and with plenty of OIII emission which you've captured nicely with the binned subs.

I think you should throw a couple more nights at it to get the noise down a bit, although the window for catching this is narrowing at the moment due to the dawn twighlight.

I too am shooting subs of this, but I won't be getting many more until later in the summer I suspect.

Cheers

Rob

Agree completely, the half hour subs catch good depth, but you don't get time for many between 'it' rising and the sun following it. Even then, stretching the curves seems to bring the noise up too. I had processed a version with a lower range of brightness, this drops the noise but you lose the impact of the Oiii.

Not sure I'll ever get into taking umpteen nights worth of subs for each channel. I've never spent nearly 6 hours of data on one image before. Maybe astrophotos should be seen as being like trees, where you add a layer each year...

I know it's not as good, but just 25 mins with a DSLR got me the shot below:

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Jack

post-24538-0-61642800-1368395970_thumb.j

Great stuff. More will improve it but you don't often see the outer O111 shell as clearly as this. Very natural colour, too.

Olly

Wow, if Olly likes it, I'll keep trying. 'Properly made up with that', as my Northern wife would say.

Cheers Mr P.