SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello to all!

Making plans for Rigel

Hi. Well, it's taken a while but I'm just about up and running now! I've been casually interested in astronomy for ages now, ever since dad showed me a fuzzy Saturn through his spotting scope in the back garden 30 years ago. Well I'm delighted to say that on it's maiden flight my new Skywatcher 200P bagged me 6 moons on the same night! I've often heard that folks can be disappointed when they first peer down a Newtonian for the first time - nothing could have been further from the truth for me - to get cracking views of the Moon, Jupiter with Callisto, Io, Europa and Ganymede as well as Saturn (including my first glimpse of the Cassini division) and Titan, I was blown away! I'm thinking of sticking with planetary observation for the first few nights - just so I can get used to my new kit. DSOs can wait for a while as there's soooooooo much to learn! I've learned a lot from looking through discussion forums here, so I thought it was about time I joined in the fun!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your scope and on your observations to date but of course there is plenty more to see. You have made a good choice in choosing the 200P and it is certainly a very capable scope with plenty of aperture to help resolve those finer details.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Welcome. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on SGL. They have answered a lot of my questions (and I had a lot). Enjoy your equipment and the skies. There is no time table on enjoyment. So live & learn at your own pace.

Ron

Like yourself, new here and very much in awe of views through my new scope. Also quite happy with planetary viewing for now but looking forward to trying a few DSO objects if only to see how difficult (or otherwise) navigating the skies is without a GOTO scope. :cool:

Hey mate, welcome. great scope you've got yourself there......I'm sure you're gonna love it. As you have said, there is no rush to jump into dso viewing (they ain't goin' no-where).

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or you already know, but stellarium is a great FREE piece of software to help you know what's available to view at any given time.

Just remember that patience and perseverence are great tools in astronomy..............Or like me you can just rip,tear and bust your way through :D

Archived