Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Tommy B

42 Pane Moon mosaic

A couple months ago I acquired a Celestron Edge HD 8 and typically the first few clear nights I had were Moon nights so Deep sky imaging was gonna be a problem. I've learnt to take whatever I can get depending on conditions so I thought...what the hell lets test this baby out on the moon and see what detail I can get.

So I threw my Phillips SPC900 webcam in the back and began capturing 42 x 30 second videos in the freezing cold.

The next day I spent an age stacking all the videos in Registax 5 tweaking wavelets and the like ready to be pasted together in photoshop. It was a real headache lining up all the frames due to some serious brightness and contrast variations and I nearly threw the towel in...but I persevered and ended up with my best effort on the Moon to date.

The end result was huge and retained a nice level of detail even when zoomed in, however this version is scaled down a tad

Waxing Gibbous Moon 20/2/13

Thanks for Looking.

Tommy B.

post-11197-0-12476400-1368372816_thumb.j

• Like 3

Excellent work. I admire your use of PhotoShop to align the images (although I understand your need to match the brightness and so on). Have a look at Microsoft's ICE software as this will do an excellent job of this kind of stitching and is free to download.

• Like 1

+1 for Microsoft ICE.

Baz.

Pinch me please, i think i just recommended MS software. lol

I just downloaded Microsoft ICE and......My word that was effortless! That's possibly the most instantly gratifying piece of software I have ever used.

Many thanks Steve.

• Like 1

That's possibly the most instantly gratifying piece of software I have ever used.

My pleasure :grin:

That is very nice and the result is well worth the effort. You must have had better seeing that I have had of late. The image is lovely and sharp. I'd call that a positive test result. :smiley:

You must be very pleased with this scope that is a fine image.