SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

42 Pane Moon mosaic

Tommy B

A couple months ago I acquired a Celestron Edge HD 8 and typically the first few clear nights I had were Moon nights so Deep sky imaging was gonna be a problem. I've learnt to take whatever I can get depending on conditions so I thought...what the hell lets test this baby out on the moon and see what detail I can get.

So I threw my Phillips SPC900 webcam in the back and began capturing 42 x 30 second videos in the freezing cold.

The next day I spent an age stacking all the videos in Registax 5 tweaking wavelets and the like ready to be pasted together in photoshop. It was a real headache lining up all the frames due to some serious brightness and contrast variations and I nearly threw the towel in...but I persevered and ended up with my best effort on the Moon to date.

The end result was huge and retained a nice level of detail even when zoomed in, however this version is scaled down a tad

Waxing Gibbous Moon 20/2/13

Thanks for Looking.

Tommy B.

post-11197-0-12476400-1368372816_thumb.j

I just downloaded Microsoft ICE and......My word that was effortless! That's possibly the most instantly gratifying piece of software I have ever used.

Many thanks Steve.

Archived