Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

How to collimate newt focuser from scratch?

Last summer I got a bargain moonlite focuser for my 10" Skywatcher dob. At the time I followed the process of collimating secondary then primary before changing the focuser and all seemed to go well. However I have noticed this season a certain softness to the view and I think my new focuser may be slightly off.

Can anyone point me to the correct test to verify this, and / or the correct procedure to collimate from scratch? The scope is up for a 3 year heavy overhaul so I'm not afraid to get down and dirty.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Thanks, but that doesn't appear to deal with the situation I have, ie it assumes the focuser is Square to the telescope body.

Based on another ussumption, that your secondary is correctly positioned, then the laser dot from a collimator should strike the secondary centrally on the minor axis and displaced on the major axis dependent on the offset. A bit of a "chicken and egg" situation. :smiley:

Collimation moves I would expect that a mirror has shifted not the focuser, especially after a year. I would have expected that you have checked and adjusted the collimation at something like 3 month intervals. Especially if you re talking about the Flex Tube at f/4.7.

Edited by ronin

did I read correctly that you collimated secondary and primary and then changed the focuser? on that basis I'd collimate the secondary and primary again after changing the focuser and you should see an improvement. in my opinion, the importance of squaring of the focuser to the tube (for visual use) is often over stated. I have (literally) never done this and never had any issues as all other aspects are adjustable. I suspect if you collimate the scope normally you should be OK.

I have collimated primary since the focuser swap, but not secondary for a while. I'll give it another go and see how I get on.