1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

How did we, and at what age, get into Astronomy

alan potts

7 hours ago, Pixies said:

For me it was this in 1974 (I was 7)

image.png.67d97efa96304934c98b70fbb698d79d.png

And the total lunar eclipse in 1975 - allowed to stay up late to watch it reach totality.

I just missed that set - I started with "Prehistoric Animals".

Are you sure it was 1974? The web site says 1971.

5 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

I just missed that set - I started with "Prehistoric Animals".

Are you sure it was 1974? The web site says 1971.

re-issued in '74. I remember forcing my parents to drink moe tea, so I could get more cards and trading them at school. Not something I could have done aged 4!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Pixies said:

re-issued in '74. I remember forcing my parents to drink moe tea, so I could get more cards and trading them at school. Not something I could have done aged 4!

Ah, yes.

My mum could already have drunk tea for England, be she switched brand to PG Tips to support my collecting mania.

As I said in my post much earlier in this thread, it was Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking down those steps to the lunar surface in 1969 that got me hooked on all things space related (I was 9 years old) and that led on to joining the school astronomy club a couple of years later. I didn't have a scope of my own for a few years after that but managed to borrow a couple from friends from time to time - 60mm Tasco refractors of course, which were about all that ordinary folks could afford back then :rolleyes2:

I'm still not entirely sure if this hobby is really for me though - I'll give it another couple of decades and see if I really get hooked :grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Pixies said:

My first telescope was very similar to this: 

image.png.d99d281c1223001f59bd4c8d2c622b52.png

I spent more time spying on the neighbours (innocently I might add) than astronomical observing with it!

I've been tempted to get one of those (or something like it) to try and replicate (to some extent) the views that Galileo might have had from his scopes.

I can't see his neighbours house from here though, so perhaps it would be a waste of time :icon_scratch:

• Haha 2

I think I was inherently into space and astronomy from a early age because I can't remember an event triggering it.

My parents bought my first telescope for xmas when I was 7 or 8. Although it was one of those 60mm plastic fantastic jobbies so I quickly lost interest until I bought a better telescope in my teens. I laid my eyes on Saturn and at that moment I knew what subject to pick for Uni 😃

First attempt at Astrophotography was interesting! I strapped an SLR to my 6" reflector, I think it was 1997? Anyway, I pointed at the Moon and focused the best I could, then patiently waited for Boots to develop the images. 

The results very much remind me of this! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1