SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stacking problem

Ok, last night was my first good imaging session without autoguiding ( the mount is tracking though). I've taken 7 Lights and 3 Darks and tried to stack them with Deep Sky Stacker. All I got was a cropped black image with about 10 or 11 stars on it. I know the pictures are not exactly the same. What am I doing wrong?

I use a Canon 550D. I figured it out. The problem was that I needed to download the latest version of DSS (3.3.3). Now it's ok.

Just one question: When I finish stacking my images and then open the final image in Photoshop, the image is darker then the pre-stacked ones. Is that normal?

Just one question: When I finish stacking my images and then open the final image in Photoshop, the image is darker then the pre-stacked ones. Is that normal?

It may be. Try opening the levels dialogue and stretching the histogram.

James

Yes the image out of DSS os often very "dark". Don't worry as all your data is there it just needs teasing out - which you do by "stretching" using the levels and curves tools in PS. There are quite a few tutorials and videos of how to do this on the web.

Archived