Vixen NLV 15 mm

Any thoughts on the Vixen NLV 15 mm? I'm considering this for use in a binoviewer. The other options I'm considering are the BST Explorer 15 mm and Meade Series 5000 plossl 14 mm. Is the Vixen NLV worth the extra money? Thanks, Mark.

The NLV is a high quality eyepiece, very sharp and contrasty compared to a standard Plössl. You will notice a difference! It also has 20mm eye relief so will be more comfortable , especially if you wear glasses.

Thanks for the feedback. Good Plossl's are hard to beat, but the eye relief on the smaller ones I find uncomfortable. I have a 15 mm TV Plossl which I could double up, but I think I will be selling this instead.

The NLV is a high quality eyepiece, very sharp and contrasty compared to a standard Plössl. You will notice a difference! It also has 20mm eye relief so will be more comfortable , especially if you wear glasses.

The NLV 15mm (and the 5mm) are excellent eyepieces with very generous eye relief. Without glasses you simply pop up the the eye guard. However the eye guard is two position only, either up or down with no in between and I found neither good with glasses on; in and I had to hover, out and my glasses were right against the guard. I also think they are also far too expensive to buy new. YMMV.

They do sound ideal for what I'm looking for. Off to the US on Fri and will hopefully pick a couple up for £90 each if I decide to go down that route. I also fancy an ES 100 20 mm at £190. I never pay full UK prices for EPs.

Hi Mark,

I use Vixen NLV 12 and 25 mm eyepieces. I enjoy using both, they give excellent views of the craters on the Moon. The eye relief is excellent.

I also use Televue eyepieces as well, the eye relief on them is ok for 20mm and above.

I wear glasses and after standing on my glasses in the dark at SGL 7, I now have my glasses on a

chord supplied by Specsavers, cost £2.50.

Have a good trip...

Cheers

Adrian

Archived