Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

Tommy B

Need to increase stability of Neq6 and Edge HD 8

Hello all,

For the last few months I have been imaging with a Celestron Edge HD 8 on my Neq6 mount. The Edge HD is a fantastic telescope and gives me the opportunity get in close on galaxies and the smaller Dso's. However, my setup is suffering from one problem....if there is a light breeze or small gust of wind the setup wobbles and gives me wide stars so I'm looking for ways to either stop or reduce this.

The telescope is bolted to the mount using a vixen dovetail bar and I'm wondering if changing this for the larger Losmandy dovetail would help?

Any other suggestion?

Many thanks,

Tommy B.

Definitely go for a beefier dovetail. I'd put that on an ADM bar and upgrade the saddle to ADM as well. It'll be rock solid. Otherwise though the mount and scope are well matched weight wise :)

As Brantuk says, but ultimately in breezy conditions, the relatively long focal length of the telescope is going to be a challenge. An observatory would be a great help but rather a large upgrade!. :smiley:

Thanks for that guys, will definitely be swapping out the saddle now.

Do you think anti-vibration feet would help much against wind? or do they only help against seismic vibration?

I don't think the pads will do much as the movement is not coming from the ground but from the wind.

Wouter.

A Losmandy bar is always an improvement on the thin Vixen bars and a beefy saddle plate is a nice upgrade too. Pictured beside the old EQ6 saddle you can see why the ADM saddle is more stable

Dscf6712_1024_zps1c54413d.jpg

Protecting the scope from wind in obsy is an also a no brainer. On windy nights though I have been known just to load up a smaller scope, or even just do some camera lens work.

• Like 1

+1 on the ADM wide saddle and wide dovetail. Next you could change the rings to Parallax rings which have a wider foot to attach to the dovetail. Then you could stiffen the tripod, Telescope Performance Improvements make a lower tripod spreader for that mount's tripod. Further improvements can be made by changing the tripod itself to a beefier one. Start with the saddle/dovetail upgrade and go from there.

Depending on where you observe you could build a windbreak against the predominant winds.

I, too, would definitely recommend the Losmandy dovetail - it made a huge difference to my 6" 'fract, and I use one on my C11

Thanks for the great advice people. The ADM saddle certainly looks beefier than I imagined and Its already filling me with confidence.

An obsy is within my means but sadly I have to travel to my imaging site and have no suitable ground to build one, although I'm sure I'll find a way of sorting one out in the future.....somehow.

My Equinox 80ED is impervious to wind on the Neq6 so I always have that to switch to like you say Laser.