Narrowband

How do I remove a dew shield

I need to remove the dew shield off my United Optics 130mm Refractor Triplet which is the same as a Williams Optics 132mm FLT.

I want to mount a Coronado H-Alpha filter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

Hi Alan. It says here http://www.astronomyalive.com.au/professional-level-telescope/united-optics-ult-132-triplet-apo-refractor-telescope.html that the dew shield is retractable, so do you actually need to remove it to fit the H-alpha filter ?

If you do need to remove it, maybe an email to the refractor's supplier or to Coronado ?

Nice kit :laugh:

Regards, Ed.

Hi

If its the same as my Megrez then you unscrew the metal collar that is on the back of the extendable dew shield (normally gold or red anodised aluminium for WO) and then you can gently pull the tube part of the dew shield off the front of the telescope.

Be careful of the felt sliders, they can be damaged fairly easily when doing this.

I'm intrigued as what you are trying to do with the Coronado filter? Sounds dangerous??

Thanks

Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah Ed it is retractable but I would prefer to mount the solar filter on the end of the scope rather than on the dew shield which would result in sag.

I have sent off an email to the manufactuer but no reply as yet.

Alan

Thanks Stu I will have a look in the morning and this is the filter that will mount on the end of the scope with a mounting ring adapter that will turn the scope into a H-Alpha solar scope.

http://www.optcorp.com/ci-smf40-15-solarmax-ii-40-h-alpha-filter-with-bf15.html

Alan

That looks like a fun project, keep us all informed of the progress with lots of pictures. I have a Coronado PST and its really good for a 40 mm scope, sub angstrom Ha is a really great way to see the sun.

Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived