SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Goosebumps

Oz Ramos

When I first saw Jupiter with my own eyes, I had goosebumps. Even though I know how far away it is, even though I know it's rather huge, and even though people have pointed the bright "star" in the sky as Jupiter I was blown away. I remember when I was a 10 or 13 hiking through the woods on a field trip - we hiked 2 miles on a special trail with different markers. Marker 1 was the Sun, marker 2 was Mercury...all they way to Pluto 2 miles later. Of course as a kid I was more into the girls than anything, but I remember specifically running through and

collecting the Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars pebbles and then saying "Are we lost?" because the distance between Mars and Jupiter seemed so much further.

When we came up to a boulder, our teacher said "Ok, and now who wants to carry the boulder". I remember looking at the pebbles in my hand and getting goosebumps then too.

15 years later I finally have my first telescope...and I'm super excited to sign up here.

Hi!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the friendliest astro forum around. It's easy to get blown away just looking up at the night sky and realising the sheer scale and beauty of it all. I just wish more people (esp children) would start looking up not down.

Congrats on new scope, lets hope you get some clear skies. Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on.

Good luck:)

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to SGL

The comparison of sizes of different objects in the solar system (and indeed in the universe) always astounds me. I have some images of Jupiter from last year with various moons in transit across the face of the planet. When you think that those tiny-looking moons are a very significant proportion of the size of the Earth it's quite astonishing. The same goes for the solar images that some people post with images of the Earth to scale. To think that some sunspots would swallow the Earth whole without even touching the sides really brings home the scale of things.

James

Archived