Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Oz Ramos

Goosebumps

When I first saw Jupiter with my own eyes, I had goosebumps. Even though I know how far away it is, even though I know it's rather huge, and even though people have pointed the bright "star" in the sky as Jupiter I was blown away. I remember when I was a 10 or 13 hiking through the woods on a field trip - we hiked 2 miles on a special trail with different markers. Marker 1 was the Sun, marker 2 was Mercury...all they way to Pluto 2 miles later. Of course as a kid I was more into the girls than anything, but I remember specifically running through and

collecting the Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars pebbles and then saying "Are we lost?" because the distance between Mars and Jupiter seemed so much further.

When we came up to a boulder, our teacher said "Ok, and now who wants to carry the boulder". I remember looking at the pebbles in my hand and getting goosebumps then too.

15 years later I finally have my first telescope...and I'm super excited to sign up here.

Hi!

• Like 6

welcome along..what a nice feeling it is when things take you back to yesteryear!!..clear skies!

Welcome to the friendliest astro forum around. It's easy to get blown away just looking up at the night sky and realising the sheer scale and beauty of it all. I just wish more people (esp children) would start looking up not down.

Congrats on new scope, lets hope you get some clear skies. Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on.

Good luck:)

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to sgl, and glad you saw Jupiter. Next time it's clear, find Saturn to the east. It looks like a normal star with just the eye, but you'll love it in a scope!

The planets never fail to give me the shivers ,hi and welcome to sgl

pat

Welcome to SGL

The comparison of sizes of different objects in the solar system (and indeed in the universe) always astounds me. I have some images of Jupiter from last year with various moons in transit across the face of the planet. When you think that those tiny-looking moons are a very significant proportion of the size of the Earth it's quite astonishing. The same goes for the solar images that some people post with images of the Earth to scale. To think that some sunspots would swallow the Earth whole without even touching the sides really brings home the scale of things.

James

• Like 1

its a welcome from, saturn will blow you away

Hello & welcome :laugh:

Shaun

When you see 300billion stars with one eye that's just as amazing as the first telescope view of Jupiter stunning!! Remember it always

Scale is but one of many things that I am in awe of when considering the universe. I saw this some time ago and it still fills me with awe. I hope it loads ok here...

722012214932981868.gif

• Like 2