Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

last observatory build

midnight_sky_watcher

Hi all, As promised here are a few photographs of my observatory complex. This has been a dream of mine for a lot of years and finally I found the ideal location. I hope you agree. From start to finish, it took 10 months (No thanks to Alexander's observatories) But together with my wife Kim it has now happened. I apologise for not taking photographs of my astronomical equipment, but only had the 200mm lens for my canon (once an astro imager, always an astro imager) Ill post some more photographs in the near future so you can see what is actually here. ENJOY!!!! Grant.......post-27780-0-09912900-1368900368_thumb.jpost-27780-0-02160500-1368900487_thumb.jpost-27780-0-10289900-1368900621_thumb.jpost-27780-0-37477500-1368900761_thumb.jpost-27780-0-61856700-1368900819_thumb.jpost-27780-0-15678200-1368900889_thumb.jpost-27780-0-29546500-1368900947_thumb.jpost-27780-0-56113500-1368901049_thumb.jpost-27780-0-71939100-1368901133_thumb.jpost-27780-0-81398700-1368901220_thumb.jpost-27780-0-24373400-1368901347_thumb.jpost-27780-0-08870700-1368901472_thumb.jpost-27780-0-76733000-1368901578_thumb.jpost-27780-0-74596600-1368901700_thumb.jpost-27780-0-14258800-1368901794_thumb.j

Digz, im never a "sir" names grant. I have a holiday caravan 5 minutes from the beach here, gas centrally heated, and double glazed. your welcome to use it free. Ive built this research observatory to give something back....I hold a PHD in astro physics, and I'm working in conjunction with the kepler program. This observatory is for use of the local schools here and my research. I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do here.

Had first nights observing last night, my god.... scopes polar aligned first time and all the software worked!!!! what's going on here. I have managed to get a guest speaker to come next month for the first lecture here. I think it's only fitting that it should be about John Couch Adams, he was the Cornish scientist that discovered the planet Neptune. Details to follow, it will be totally free of charge. It would be great if anybody here is local and willing to travel. It will be an interesting talk, and if its clear later I'd like to let the scopes work for a change, so will get in some observing time!!! you know it makes sense. lol...

Digz, im never a "sir" names grant. I have a holiday caravan 5 minutes from the beach here, gas centrally heated, and double glazed. your welcome to use it free. Ive built this research observatory to give something back....I hold a PHD in astro physics, and I'm working in conjunction with the kepler program. This observatory is for use of the local schools here and my research. I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do here.

Hi Grant,

Can I assume you're doing follow-up observations for Kepler? I'm currently studying for an Astrophysics degree myself, albeit a little late, and I'm interested in doing some exoplanet observations (not detections, obviously!) for my final year project. If this is indeed what you're up to, I'd love to know how you get on, and if you've had any success.

Great observatories by the way. I can assure you there are a load of jelly-belly astronomers on this forum, myself included!

Hi Grant,

Can I assume you're doing follow-up observations for Kepler? I'm currently studying for an Astrophysics degree myself, albeit a little late, and I'm interested in doing some exoplanet observations (not detections, obviously!) for my final year project. If this is indeed what you're up to, I'd love to know how you get on, and if you've had any success.

Great observatories by the way. I can assure you there are a load of jelly-belly astronomers on this forum, myself included!

Hi, May I say firstly, its never too late to learn and I wish you luck on your degree. The observatory website will be live in what I am hoping is about a weeks time, there are a few last minute tweaks, "I" dotting and "T" crossing. I will post some links for you to have a look at. I will also be broadcasting on the night skies network under Tolcarnobservatory and Tolcarnobservatory2 (all one word) If you send me an E-Mail I will send you some of the data I have, which will, I hope help you with your final year project. Grant....

Hi, May I say firstly, its never too late to learn and I wish you luck on your degree. The observatory website will be live in what I am hoping is about a weeks time, there are a few last minute tweaks, "I" dotting and "T" crossing. I will post some links for you to have a look at. I will also be broadcasting on the night skies network under Tolcarnobservatory and Tolcarnobservatory2 (all one word) If you send me an E-Mail I will send you some of the data I have, which will, I hope help you with your final year project. Grant....

That would be excellent - many thanks. Also, while I'm at it, thanks for the heads up about Night Sky Network. I've never heard of it before but it looks really interesting. Always good to have another resource at hand!! I will email shortly.... Thanks again!

Hi Grant , your set up looks fantastic and your Mark1 Pulsar Observatory looks in great condition . I was lucky to obtain one from a Gent in Scotland around 10 years ago - been looking for another but they're like hens teeth.

Really great that you are willing to share with Local schools etc... very best of luck and happiness with your venture , Rob.

( Got some great beaches around you also - spent many a happy holiday around Mevagissey - and held my breath down some very narrow lanes. :laugh: )

Hi Grant , your set up looks fantastic and your Mark1 Pulsar Observatory looks in great condition . I was lucky to obtain one from a Gent in Scotland around 10 years ago - been looking for another but they're like hens teeth.

Really great that you are willing to share with Local schools etc... very best of luck and happiness with your venture , Rob.

( Got some great beaches around you also - spent many a happy holiday around Mevagissey - and held my breath down some very narrow lanes. laugh.gif )

Hi Rob, Yes I have been here for about a year and a half, and the so called "A" roads here are not like the A roads I was used to lol.

• 1 year later...

Archived