Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OSC versus Mono - Which is best? Time to find out! Any ideas?

Tim

I would definitely keep my eys open to the 29050-based cameras on the market. As been discussed before, the 5um pixel size is pretty much optimal for most stups and the 29050 has 5.5um pixels and a whopping 6576 x 4384! That's 28,829,184 pixels or, lets round it off, 29MP. It is 37 x 24mm so the diagonal is 43.5mm (DSLR "Full frame").

Apparently, results with the cameras on the market are stunning! Napkin, anyone - my keyboard needs a wipe... I signed up for QSI's upcoming 700-series 29050 camera (not comitted though).

/per

Oh God, I didn't know about this. It sounds perfect. How can I make more money? :evil:

Olly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to open a UK branch training people to image in strong light pollution Olly.

Now, do you know anyone who lives in a central location with horrible skies? :D

• 2 weeks later...

For two reasons, I am going to delay or indefinitely postpone this experiment.

1) I will very soon have a new camera to play with thanks to the good people at Atik............

2) It's already been done to an extent that would be hard and or foolish to try and do again.

Here's an excellent comparison between two matched cameras, and the necessary results:

http://www.helixgate.net/Xm-XCM-1A.html

Enjoy :)

Tim

For two reasons, I am going to delay or indefinitely postpone this experiment.

1) I will very soon have a new camera to play with thanks to the good people at Atik............

2) It's already been done to an extent that would be hard and or foolish to try and do again.

Here's an excellent comparison between two matched cameras, and the necessary results:

http://www.helixgate.../Xm-XCM-1A.html

Enjoy :)

Tim

1) nice :Envy:

2) nice find...

Only skipped to the summary but seems to agree with what has been discussed on SGL many a time too

If you wanted to skip to the summary.....

Final Judging

So, which camera won? When someone asks me which camera is best my response is....it depends. These tests show that it depends on the objects imaged, its emission line contents, amount of details and more importantly how well either one will fit into your budget. If you plan on doing narrow band imaging or photometry work then the obvious answer is you definitely need to go with the mono camera. There are other factors that this test did not evaluate such as the amount of detail loss difference using a longer focal length OTA where the photons are spread out over more pixels so the sampling rate would be much finer. This would also reduce or eliminate the star edge artifacts in the XCM images.

The results displayed here were based on the equipment I have, my local seeing conditions and processing techniques so your results will vary.

For a grab-n-go camera, the XCM is certainly the one to use for simplicity hands down. Also, for objects like comets and very bright DSO's such as the Orion Nebula or M45 Pleiades, the XCM performs very well and can provide very satisfying images with good processing techniques. I mention processing techniques because many people who buy the XCM are new and still developing still their processing skills and may expect too much at first.

My experiences with both cameras has me getting rid of neither. When I want to show someone what astro photography is like, I use the XCM for ease of use, quick setup and fast color results to display. I use the XM mostly because of the finer details I want to see in an image and I find it much easier and less time to process. Take you time and gather the necessary data sets to build a high quality image.

The important thing to remember is you really need to understand and accept your cameras capabilities and its limitations when selecting an object to image and work within that circle to get the best results and more importantly, have as much fun and satisfaction as possible. After all....this is only a hobby!

I hope you find these series of tests interesting and informational. I learned a lot doing this and also proved that even though the XM mono camera is better in many areas, it isn't the "blow the doors off" type of results some would suggest. If you would like to make comments, suggestions or point out errors, please send emails to:

mike"at"helixgate"dot"net replace "at" with @ and "dot" with a . (period)

So what we need now is a quick reference check list, so that the factors involved in making the choices are easier to understand and prioritise.

Might just get round to doing that ;)

I think that would be very helpful for those trying to decide which to buy :) As I'm heavily into NB it was quite an easy choice for me but for those more into galaxies the choice is less clear.

Archived