Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

EQMOD and Guiding

Kenza

I've seen that the EQMOD can among other functions control guiding via a software (Stellarium etc.). Does that mean that I don't need a guiding camera when using EQMOD for astrophotography?

No. Stellarium and CdC provide the goto information via EQMOD/EQDIR to the mount, but for guiding you need a guide cam/scope and either an ST connection to the scope, or you can drive it via EQMOD with ASCOM compatible software.

Yeah, ASCOM is the framework and EQMOD sits on top and moves the mount. So, the image from my guide cam is read by PHD and that communicates via ASCOM to EQMOD which then moves the mount via the EQMOD software and EQDIR adapter.

If you want to move to a new object in the sky, Stellarium communicates with EQMOD (via the stellariumscope plug-in), and EQMOD issues the movement commands

Aha, so basically EQMOD with ASCOM controls and drives the guide camera, right?

No,

EQMod is used to control the mount via ASCOM drivers. CDC interfaces with EQMOD so that when you select a target in CDC the scope slews to the desired position. A guide camera will either communicate direct to the mount via an ST4 port, or via USB and suitable guide software such as PHD. In this example, PHD monitors the movement of a target star and then sends small adjustments via the ASCOM drivers to the mount. As EQMOD and PHD are all connected via the ASCOM drivers for the camera and mount the tracking can be monitored via the PHD graph or EQMOD.