Size doesn't matter

axle01

Here is a selection of different size eyepieces to compare the physical size of eyepieces of much the same MM range. first is a 3.7mm Ethos compared to a Explore Scientific 6.7mm then a 11mm ES with a Nagler 12mm and a Edmond Optics 28mm with a ES 30mm.spdr82.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting seeing all the variation in the different eyepieces.

What would be interesting to see (although I doubt any amateur has the money to), would be every eyepiece of every line currently in production in a row. (i.e. All Ethos(es?) in a row, All Delos in a row, all XW's in a row etc..). Then, have them all on a big table!

What would be interesting to see (although I doubt any amateur has the money to), would be every eyepiece of every line currently in production in a row. (i.e. All Ethos(es?) in a row, All Delos in a row, all XW's in a row etc..). Then, have them all on a big table!

Funnily enough I was going to post that very picture. but then I figured that's just showing off. especially as I don't own a scope.(couldn't afford one after buying all those eyepieces)

Funnily enough I was going to post that very picture. but then I figured that's just showing off. especially as I don't own a scope.(couldn't afford one after buying all those eyepieces)

Ha, that's what credit cards are for.

Somewhere on the Cloudynights forum I expect there is such a picture. Some folks there have eyepiece collections in excess of 200 items :rolleyes2:

Somewhere on the Cloudynights forum I expect there is such a picture. Some folks there have eyepiece collections in excess of 200 items :rolleyes2:

They can probably justify the cost, what with clearer skies over in the US :rolleyes:

Oooo... You've got one of those floaty-28 things from Edmund. Two questions:

1. Is the floaty-effect as cool as people say, and...

2. If you bought direct from Edmund UK, did the highly-squishy eyecup come with it?

At SGL last year, Steph brought over her Nagler 13mm T1 and we compared it to our 13mm Nagler T6. The size difference was huge! Wish I'd taken a photo.

Someone's done a photo here of the 13mm Nagler T1 (left), 13mm Nagler T6 (centre), and Ethos 13mm (right):

Ethos2a.jpg

I bet your focuser winces when it sees that ensemble coming John :-)

When I have my 30mm ES82 in the coma corrector, I actually wonder how well was the time spent in squaring my focuser to the Newt's optical axis.30es82coma.jpg

Russell

Wow, thats a handful :shocked:

Makes me glad I've got an F/5.3 and don't have to bother with a Coma Corrector !

To quote GSO/Altair:

"the Altair Astro coma corrector is designed to work best from F3 to F6. An F4 telescope will perform like an F8 one in terms of coma reduction when using the coma corrector (a huge reduction!)"

"Don't have to", or happy enough not worry if there's improvements to be had? :grin:

Russell

Archived