SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fireball to the south.8/05/13.

seems to be a few spotted around the same 10 minute period. or lots of people seeing the same thing and getting the direction of travel mixed up.

It was on BBC Breakfast News this morning with video clip. The mix-up of time and direction from the public is normal - even my wife says she saw it from her armchair in the lounge looking due west - the curtains were open !

Several CCTV cameras caught it, there are also a couple of photos doing the round aswell inc the one afew posts higher. That does indeed look like what I saw, however I always question if the photos of things that pop up soon after an event are infact real. Id love to believe it is, as its a great shot, but Iv been had by that kind of thing before, namely the photo of a washed out glastonbury (I think) from 2006 that always pops up anytime someone drops a drink at a festival now and says 'OMG we're flooded!'

Back to topic though - was very glad I happened to be looking out of my open window when it came by :)

Damn - 3 days ago I reset my all sky camera to automatically turns on at 10.00pm, it had been 09:30pm! :BangHead:

I was thinking of you Mike when they said on BBC Breakfast News that any footage captured would have to be a "chance" capture as no one goes out to try and capture this type of thing...

Doh....

Peter...

Aderin-Pocock says it's an Eta Aquarid. WIth the radiant 35* below the horizon??????

She's wrong. It was a sporadic meteor. http://ukmeteornetwork.co.uk/2013/05/full-report-on-meteor-spotted-in-night-sky-in-england-and-wales-8-may-2013-at-2147/

I was contacted by Sky News at 1am this morning and Adrian West did an interview with them and Radio5 Live.

She's wrong. It was a sporadic meteor.

I know. She often is re observational astronomy. I told the BBC so at 02:50 when they published the wrong info. They paid no heed.

Tab on Tapatalk

Archived