Detailed CCD help please!

Yes with my cameras I only use bias & flat frames. My bias libraries (one for each ccd camera) is taken at zero exposure and is not temperature dependant.

I tend to replace them every 3 - 4 moths or so. The flats are taken after I expose my lights, using a LED flat panel.

cheers

Steve

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would a darks library work? Presumably you'd need a massive number, i.e. a selection of different exposure times at a large range of temperatures? Also, how might you ensure you're using darks from the correct temperature? Would it be a case of finding the mean (or maybe even mode) EXIF temperature of the lights and merely selecting appropriate ones from the library, or would you require a matching EXIF temp dark for each light frame, as presumably you never get all lights at the same temp?

Setpoint cooling means that the temperature never varies. Which means that the dark library can be re-used over and over again.

Ahhhhh I seeee! That makes a lot more sense, and pushes me ever closer to buying that 314L!

So if I can summarise,

Better sensitivity,

Less noise

Darks rarely needed due to library,

Easier to use / control,

Better image scale for smaller DSOs

Well those are the pro's. surely there must be some cons?

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, a CCD really is the way to go if you want to get the very best that you can from your imaging setup. That's not to say that people don't manage some good images with DSLR's, they do. The generally consideration with DSLR's is that you really do benefit hugely from a fast system, not a run of the mill F6 or threabouts speed.

The cons of a CCD? People will often say cost. When you do a direct like for like comparison with a DSLR on chip size real estate and cost of the CCD as well as filters, it can look expensive. But ............... try one and that cost disadvantage melts away.

I say this as having used DSLR's, modded and unmodded and now using CCD's. There are many who extol the virtues of a DSLR for imaging, that's fine and probably based on their experience. But here's the thing, if they are so good, why do people not move TO DSLR imaging FROM CCD imaging? Because once you've tried a CCD you'll not go back.

That's an excellent point and one that had occurred, possibly subconsciously, to me before now. I'm not sure I've seen a post by anyone wishing to downgrade....

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

How do you guys cope with larger targets with these smaller chips? Do you avoid them altogether or go in for mosaics?

I've been working on a mozaic of NGC7000 and Pelican Nebula for a couple of years now.

Using Atik 314L+ and 100mm f/6 refractor just need lots of patience. :)

Dave

Archived