Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daylight saving time.. Mental block

kirkster501

Maybe I am going nuts... Is British Summer Time the same as daylight saving time? Or are they mutually opposite to each other? Why save daylight in summer? It's winter where we want to save daylight....... Never bottomed this one out personally !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BST is daylight saving time, we have GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) in the winter which is our 'normal' local time.

The other time sometimes referred to (generally in aviation) is UTC (Universal Coordinated Time, or 'Zulu' time), which is to all intents and purposes the same as GMT, whether we are in the summer or winter.

Right now (09:56 at the time of typing), it's 09:56 BST, 08:56 GMT and 08:56 UTC.

Lol what was wrong with GMT? Apparently that's not good enough so we will come up with UTC which is essentially a more accurate GMT but that's far too simple so we will have lots of variants of it, UT, UT1,UT0 etc. give me strength. Lets just go back to calling it GMT, or is that too British Empire for the PC brigade?

Never heard it called Zulu time in anything other than naff American movies.

Archived