Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

Giving Hercules a good looking

Mattscar

After collimating my scope for the first time this morning I was eager to take it out for a spin. After setting up slightly early I started trying to find some targets for the night. Saturn is still behind trees for most of the night and I wasn't feeling shooting for galaxies in Virgo, so in the end I spotted Vega and from there on to Hercules (another constellation I can now identify to add to the list) to have a go at the globs there.

M13 seemed the simplest to go for. After abit of star hopping it came into view. At first it seemed a grey cloud with a couple of pin-pricks of light peeking out of it, but after experimenting with different EP's I couldn't decide if I preferred it in the 18 or 8mm's, so tried picking out details in both and was rewarded for the time. Quite afew stars kept coming into and out of view as it were, enough to keep me entertained for quite a while.

Once I was done playing hide and seek with M13, I hopped over onto M92, the so called lesser observed glob in Hercules. With M92 I found it slightly better to observe it in the 8mm EP rather than the 18, I seemed to have more luck with averted vision at a higher mag. If anything, I think the 'cloud' was more visible than in M13, but was still visibly packed with stars.

This was over an hour or so and at this point I decided to call it a night as its back to work tomorrow, though I was happy with my collimation effort and bagged two more great messiers. Now to plan tomorrow...

• Like 2

Thanks for the great write-up, Matt and glad to hear everything went well. What your plans for your next observing session? Perhaps it might be nice to give Virgo a little run over?

I'd love to give it a go, but at the moment its just on the edge of a really light poluted area of the sky, combine that with the fact that due to work I can't be up into the small hours observing, and Iv got abit of a problem. Once Iv got a car sorted Virgo is one of the things Im going to go for from a darker sky site than my back garden. I can see galaxies from the garden, but some of them are quite a struggle.

Great report: and nothing like a look through a freshly collimated scope!!! I never got a good look at globs until I spent the time getting the collimating as good as possible. Then M13 was a Wow!!! Darn light is scarce enough coming from these beauties, so gotta get those settings just so!

nice write up. M13 is a fine sight - and with careful observation gives up some of it's beauty even in a small scope.

The virgo area is a challenge, and i tend to just concentrate on one or two objects to gain any success with small aperture and not ideal conditions. If you can get to a dark site, it will transform the view. With ursa major high in the sky - the galaxy search in that area could be more fruitful.

andrew

Iv found a couple of galaxies around Ursa Major, pinwheel and the like, quite easily. Im limited by not being able to drive at the moment, but Im working on it and already have several locations in my head to goto that first night I can. I may just go back to these two again tonight if I go out to see if I can tease anymore detail out of them, I got the impression there is quite alot there, you just have to persevere to get it.

Here's one for you to try the next time you look at M13, once centred, pan around and you may see a small fuzzy, it's a galaxy, NGC6207, I found it purely by chance last night whilst looking for M13. :)

Great write up and proof that giving DSOs a little time to come throug pays dividends. The eye does take time to adapt and pick out the detail.

Totally agree with that and each visit seems to eek out more detail once your eyes know what to expect from a target, weather permitting.

Well a combination of getting stuck miles away due to a faulty immobiliser and the clouds that have rolled in, may have to wait a few days now. But will certainly see if I can get more detail and find NGC6207. Thanks everyone!