Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Wrexham, N Wales.

bujin

Hi all. Just joined today, although I've read a few threads recently as I was in the market for a telescope!

I've been interested in astronomy for decades and even studied astrophysics at uni - unfortunately that was 15 years ago and I've forgotten most of it since!

Out of boredom, towards the end of last year I decided to take it up again. I bought a cheap-ish DSLR and an even cheaper 200mm zoom lens to get started with some basic astrophotography, and on Saturday I sent off an order for my first proper telescope (if you don't count the awful, cheap refractor I had as a kid!)

Looking forward to being able to do some slightly longer exposure photography than is possible with my current set-up! I've also been reading a few of the threads here for ideas on where to go that's reasonably local for dark skies - Wales is very good for that sort of thing, but I'm more or less on the border with England and there's way too much light pollution here! I'll have to make a trip further westwards during the summer!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL. What scope did you order?

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

Thanks all! :)

It's one of these: http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-c6-sgt.html

I'd have liked to have gone for a bigger one, but thought it better to keep the cost down for now, and I need one that's reasonably portable as I don't think I'd get great benefit from using one here. Especially as my interest lies more in deep sky objects than planets.

Hi all. Just joined today, although I've read a few threads recently as I was in the market for a telescope!

I've been interested in astronomy for decades and even studied astrophysics at uni - unfortunately that was 15 years ago and I've forgotten most of it since!

Out of boredom, towards the end of last year I decided to take it up again. I bought a cheap-ish DSLR and an even cheaper 200mm zoom lens to get started with some basic astrophotography, and on Saturday I sent off an order for my first proper telescope (if you don't count the awful, cheap refractor I had as a kid!)

Looking forward to being able to do some slightly longer exposure photography than is possible with my current set-up! I've also been reading a few of the threads here for ideas on where to go that's reasonably local for dark skies - Wales is very good for that sort of thing, but I'm more or less on the border with England and there's way too much light pollution here! I'll have to make a trip further westwards during the summer!

hi there what a great place you live at. Welcome to Sgl

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

hi again bujin were do you go star gazing

Best place I've found so far is a little one lane track west of the Horseshoe pass - about halfway between Llandegla and Corwen. It's pretty dark if you look west, but you still get the light pollution from Wrexham and Chester if you look east. I've only been out there once with my camera, just over a week ago. Unfortunately I knocked my camera over while there and only managed to save it by holding on to the remote cable - it saved the camera but broke the cable, so I have to wait for a replacement before I can go out again.

Having said that, reading some threads here, Denbigh Moors looks like a good location. Probably an hour's drive from my house, but it should be worth it!

Archived