SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn looking awesome as per normal!

Just been out observing Saturn! I saw cloud belts and a Cassini division and the best thing was I was only using a little 90mm refractor, the view was so clear and sharp and full of detail! Never new a scope that size could provide such a good view! :)

Been viewing Saturn myself. Amazing through any scope. In the meantime...took a glimpse of arcturus. Wanted to look at M58 (spiral galaxy) but behold...the only cloud in the sky was right in front of it. Never mind, not a bad night

Gary

Saturn was just about as good as I have ever seen it tonight. Seeing was as close to perfect as it gets here, so I was able to push all the way up to 427x magnification :eek:

Best views so far this year, through light cloud to settle the brightness. Quite wonderfully contrasty with black sharp shadows and Cassini. Through a Barlowed 12mm Vixen NLV in a SW 150pl . F8 is really cracking at this aperture, hoping for more

clear skies,

Nick.

Just been out observing Saturn! I saw cloud belts and a Cassini division and the best thing was I was only using a little 90mm refractor, the view was so clear and sharp and full of detail! Never new a scope that size could provide such a good view! :)

My first ever view of Saturn was also with a 90mm refractor. Once i got it in my FOV, i followed it for hours (6 hrs i think). Every so often when conditions allowed, i could just make out the Cassini divide. I cant say that i saw any cloud belts that night though.

It truely is a WOW object and blew me away.

Managed to get a look at Saturn last night. It was a bit of a battle as there was a fair amount of light pollution. The 10mm that came with the 150p gives 75x mag and to be honest although the image was pretty good it was a bit small. I used the Barlow and that gave a nice image size but although I could see Saturn and the rings I would be stretching it to say I saw the division despite a fair old attempt. Trouble is Barlowed the 10mm has a small field of view and Saturn was racing across the mirror so I was adjusting a lot. I could see two moons as pinpricks of light below Saturn and one off to the left and a very faint one closer in but no division. There was a fair bit of glare from Saturn although I could see the black between the rings and Saturn.

Not sure the 10mm is doing the telescope justice..or am I being picky? I'm sure it would be better under darker skies but I'm wondering if I might get better results if I got something like the Celesteron Xcel 7mm and perhaps the matching Barlow.

PS - having looked at the moons thread I now realise the bright one a fair bit out was Titan. It did occur to me that it was always there by Saturn I just didn't expect one that far out. Doh!

Archived