Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 2264 CONE NEBULA

CELESCOPE

No Prob's Rog, i just selected the diffrant tones in the B/W image and change them to differant red's thus giving a sence of NATURAL colour. This was done using a New layer then mixing the B/W layer(orignal) to overlay them both. The stars i added some lens flareing to give them some colour aswell. Quite easy to do really..

James :clouds2:

The Cone Nebula lies in the southern part of NGC 2264, the Christmas Tree cluster.  This is a rich region with much nebulosity and many interesting objects.  The Christmas Tree cluster has at its base the variable star S Mon (also known as 15 Mon).  If viewed with this northern portion at the bottom, the stars of this cluster form the outline of a Christmas Tree, topped by the 7th magnitude star HD 47887.

S Mon is an irregular eruptive variable that varies from 4.62 to 4.68 magnitude.  A hot, massive star of spectral type O8, it is at least 8000 times as luminous as the sun.  The variability is produced by variations in the chromosphere, which are also related to the outflow (or stellar wind) emanating from this recently formed and relatively short lived massive star.  S Mon has an 8th magnitude companion 2.9" away at position angle 213o.

HD 47887, at the top of the Christmas Tree is a spectral type B3 giant.  Look for a companion 12.8" distant at position angle 153o.  The area around HD 47887 is populated with dozens of Orion variables.

You should be able to see nebulosity surrounding S Mon, as well as a group of stars about 10' to it's southwest.  If you cannot see this nebulosity, there is no point in looking for the much more difficult Cone nebula.  The Cone nebula lies near HD 47887, making a very faint haze around and to the south of this star.  Like the Horsehead nebula, the Cone's shape comes from an intervening dark cloud that lies to the south of HD 47887, hope that helps Caz its a hard image to get so when we get it we are very happy i been trying ayear now and its the best i have got , well pleased

cheers

Rog

No i,m afraid not Caz its one of those deep sky objects you need to image , its something that gets to you after a while after doing the moon and planets for years it becomes just another challenge to go deeper into space and seek out these hidden objects , its a real buzz to find them and even more to capture them , hard to explain ,maybe one day you will get what i mean, until then enjoy the planets and star clusters plenty to see out there .

Rog :clouds2:

Archived