Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are quality 7x50 binoculars a good purchase or will I regret the purchase

I recently sold my three binoculars a cheap revelation astro20x80 a vintage 7x50 and a 8x40. I wanted to consolidate down to just one general very high quality binocular. I like the ba8 series but can't find any 10x50 in the uk. Flo have the 7x50 in the helios apollo and William optics but is 7x50 too little magnification for picking out DSOs?

This choice is largely down to age and LP levels where you observe. Some find the exit pupil of 7.1 mm for the 7x50 too large, either because their own pupils do not dilate that far, or because the background can look washed out at that exit pupil (or a combination). I prefer 10x50 for the second reason.

TS stock a 10x50:

http://www.teleskop-...stoffgefue.html

As do APM

http://www.apm-teles...10x50-1408.html

(only in German language) Both are the same I guess. I do not know what they charge for shipping to the UK, but I have no complaints in any of my dealings with either

I do not know what they charge for shipping to the UK,
TS is very reasonable, in my experience (I've not used APM). UPS is EUR 13 for this binocular; puts the price on a par with getting the WO version from FLO. In my experience, shipping time from TS is typically 2-3 working days, better than a lot of UK retailers!

TS is very reasonable, in my experience (I've not used APM). UPS is EUR 13 for this binocular; puts the price on a par with getting the WO version from FLO. In my experience, shipping time from TS is typically 2-3 working days, better than a lot of UK retailers!

Over here the WO seems to be far more expensive than the TS/APM versions (328 vs 229 euro), do you get any clear benefits from that? I know the WO list ED in their spec, but are they really superior?

I have had a look at those links and have reconsidered based on the terrible light pollution in my area. A 10x50 would definitely be preferential so with that in mind I'm at a loss as to which binoculars to get. Can anyone confirm if the Strathspey 10x50 marines are on par with ba8 binoculars?

I quite like the wider view of my Williams Optics 7x50, they are possibly more suited to darker sky sites than the 10x50? If you suffer from LP then the 10x50 would be more use.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-binoculars/william-optics-10x50-7x50-ed-binocular.html

The only thing I would add is they are quite heavy (1.6kg) and built like tanks (indeed built for Chinese military use!).

I quite like the wider view of my Williams Optics 7x50, they are possibly more suited to darker sky sites than the 10x50? If you suffer from LP then the 10x50 would be more use.

http://www.firstligh...-binocular.html

The only thing I would add is they are quite heavy (1.6kg) and built like tanks (indeed built for Chinese military use!).

The difference in true FOV is not as big as all that: 7.5 vs 6.6 deg (BTW, the AFOV value on the FLO site is incorrect: should be 52.5 deg (= 7 x 7.5 deg) rather than 75 deg (10x7.5 deg).

I do not think they are on a par, but they are certainly good binoculars. Steve (tetenterre) knows a lot more about them.

Nowhere near the same quality as a BA8. The Strath Marine is robust and reasonably sharp but, since I bought it 8 years or so ago, I have discovered why my Opticron 10x42 is just as bright: the Marine, like almost all other budget Chinese 10x50 and larger binoculars (*), is stopped down internally and is really only a 10x43.

* (I tested a budget 25x100 last night: slightly over 80mm true aperture!)

Easiest way to measure, I find, is with the LED flash of my phone (used as a torch) held about 15cm (or more) from the eyepiece, projecting through the objective onto a bit of graph paper. This gives a result that is less than 1% different to what I get on a workbench with a laser and beam widener.

I recently went from 10x50 to 8x42. I greatly prefer the latter. The reduced jitters more than make up for the loss of magnification. If I want magnification I'll use a scope. I don't thnk the difference between 8 and 10x really redfines what can be seen.

Olly

I recently went from 10x50 to 8x42. I greatly prefer the latter. The reduced jitters more than make up for the loss of magnification. If I want magnification I'll use a scope. I don't thnk the difference between 8 and 10x really redfines what can be seen.

Olly

I am the exact opposite, I use my 15x70s a lot more than the 10x50s. Haven't tried the Leicas yet (not going to either, what with the H-alpha solar stuff making large claims on the budget).

I recently went from 10x50 to 8x42. I greatly prefer the latter.
I think I might feel the same way if I had your Leicas! :laugh: On a marginally more serious note, as I get deeper into my 6th decade, I don't seem to be able to hand-hold my bins as steadily as I used to. Whether it's "an age thing" or that I'm just becoming more critical (also an age thing? :grin: ) I don't know, but seriously considering a quality 8x ...

I think I might feel the same way if I had your Leicas! :laugh: On a marginally more serious note, as I get deeper into my 6th decade, I don't seem to be able to hand-hold my bins as steadily as I used to. Whether it's "an age thing" or that I'm just becoming more critical (also an age thing? :grin: ) I don't know, but seriously considering a quality 8x ...

I'm in my sixties now and I think this does have a bearing on hand holding at 10x.

Michael, for me 15x70 observing is really a different activity than smaller binocular observing. I do like the 15x70 experience immensely but it's not a hand holding operation for me so it's more akin to telescope observing. Indeed I tend to use the venerable second hand Pronto and 26 Nagler for a similar kind of view.

Olly

Archived