Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

I've done some processing with some advice, and have got to this stage with CS6. I want to darken it but I don't want to back clip. I also balanced the colour channels but it's still a bit red. What would you guys recommend? I can post a link to the TIFF if you'd like.

Oh, by-the-way, what's that fuzzy blob bottom left of the image? I guess that's a galaxy too??

Alexxx

post-1704-0-16228400-1367760803_thumb.jp

Edited by Astrosurf

Have you used curves in PS ? you can put locks on the line and adjust between them , if you use the eyedropper and watch the position on the curves line you can put a lock to adjust just

the bits you want.

You can use RC Astro plug in to get rid of the gradient but I'm not sure if it works in CS6. But it usually corrects the colour balance as well.

Seen some tutorials on how to do it in PS

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Many thanks Dave. Yes, I use Curves and lock points. I'm still not very good though!

Do you have a link to RC Astro? I'm always cautious as I've downloaded a few viruses in the past! I'll see if it works with CS6.

Alexxx

I just Googled it an got to RC Astro site, just seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't work in CS6 but a while ago so it may have been updated.

Dave

• Like 1

Nice pic, Alex

Oh, by-the-way, what's that fuzzy blob bottom left of the image? I guess that's a galaxy too??

The one I think you mean is NGC5473, but you also seem to haveNGC 5477 right at the bottom of the image, about 1/3 of the way across (I'm terrible at estimating distances, but find the brightest star on the bottom edge of the image and it is just to the right of that).

EDIT: actually, a better guide is to go from N5473 through the lower of the two brightish stars just to the right of it and that straight line takes you almost directly to N5477.

Edited by Demonperformer

I had a play in pixinsight, not sure if it is still too red, I used the downloaded png file, looks OK before I uploaded it :grin:

Used PI's scripts, background correction, curves, deconvolution and resize

post-9935-0-27872000-1368034226_thumb.pn

Wot like I'd do next is shove the galaxy into Hue/Saturation,reduce the red/magenta and pump up the blues/cyans. I like contrast so I'd give the black a damn good clipping if not a thorougher beating! :rolleyes:

post-849-0-16601600-1368044903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks for your efforts guys! I'll certainly have a go at Hue/Saturation. I love to black clip the final image (saving the original of course) but people tell me off!

My final, colour balanced, naughtily back-clipped, image! I think the stars are a bit hard though.

post-1704-0-88300100-1368222255_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Nice one Alex, I thought your first image was good, But the final is Nice, More three dimensional, I'd be very happy with that :smiley:

Thanks Vince. I do think one can over-process images, so I'll stop at that!