Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 7x-21x 40 G2 upclose worth collimating?

I Received as a gift a brand new pair of celestron bino's -

They look alright but on viewing at night I noticed stars were not focusing to a point, they looked like a dot with a tail (very thin line) but with almost no experience with anything other than my newt I had no idea whether this was a normal sight from a pair of bino's - especially less expensive ones like these, though i'd have thought celestron would produce ok optics being astronomical company.

My first thought was to simply gamble on replacement pair being collimated better, if that is whats wrong with them, but without being able to return to wholesaler my only option is celestron themselves - the card and instruction leaflet mentions a warranty but it might just be in the states/canada its not entirely clear

Apart from the name I dont know enough about them to tell if they should be giving good star views or whether the 4 collimation / prism adjustment screws mean that it would be easy enough to collimate them myself?

During daylight the view seems to be slightly off regarding the two images merging properly, there is an impression of dark kidney bean shapes as well which seem to appear when trying to relax my eyes, this might be normal as my viewing technique is awkward and i'm still new to bino's generally.

Can I ask if anyone either knows this model or has used them? Also, how easy is the collimation procedure and will the effort be worth it considering the lower range budget of the bino's themselves?

If it comes to it would celestron be able to exchange them if I ask directly due to not being able to deal with the 'middle man' suppliers?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Regards

Aenima

To be blunt, I have yet to encounter zoom binoculars that do not disappoint on stars. The dot with the tail effect does not sound like a prism collimation issue, it sounds like a problem in the EP (most likely). Prism collimation issues almost invariably show double star images.

Yeah, had my suspicions that the optics were just bad rather than in need of adjustment, still worth a try considering I cant use my scope at the moment. :eek:

The one thing that gave me hope was the bino's were by Celestron...........apparently not.

Thanks though,

Aenima

Archived