Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW RAEI Finder Cross-hairs

Hi Quick question if I may......Having a dodgy back I've invested in a SkyWatcher Right Angled Erect Image Finder, are the Cross-Hairs supposed to be vertical & horizontal like +, mine isn't, the Cross-Hairs are more on their side like x with no apparent adjustment as every part is screwed up until tight. With my straight through I could rotate the finder in the bracket to get the Cross-Hairs vertical & horizontal like + which I'm more use to.

Thanks

Same thing with my Skywatcher RACI. No big problem as far as I'm concerned but would have preferred cross hair orientation to be + rather than X. There's a thread about this in the "Disscusions eyepieces" section. I could be wrong, but it seems like it's only recently purchased RACI's that suffer from this.

If you are not happy with the position the eye piece ends up in after you have turned the finder in the bracket to orientate the cross hairs to vertical, you could try slackening off the right angle ep end by unscrewing from the barrel to give about 45° rotation then wrap a few turns of some very fine black thread into the gap, then re-tightening the assembly you should get it near enough to just allow a little adjustment in the bracket to bring the the cross hairs vertical. A bit Heath Robinson, but what you have done should hardly be visible and bring about the result you want :)

John.

Thanks for the replies......I'll try and find the discussion in the eyepiece section, see how I get on with it as is before modding, thought I may a dodgy one.

Forgot to ask, can you get new replacement reticules/cross-hairs for the SW 9x50 finder, as I'd like to replace the wonky one in my straight through finder that I've never been happy with?

Thanks

Archived