Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all

I bought one of these last week and tried to assemble it yesterday but had a few problems

1 One of the plastic covers to the black feet is missing - should there be 3 for stability? Does this really matter?

2 I do not seem to be able to open the telescope up. There is a plastic square (about 2 inches) glued to the inside rim which does not appear in the pictures on the box or instruction book. Should this be there as it seems to prevent any upward movement - Is there a knack I do not have? I have had a look at the viddeos on Youtube but these do not help.

Unfortunately the photos I have are too big for uploading but I would be grateful for any help.

This bit?

post-14434-0-95054300-1340662132_thumb.jpg

Borrowed someones photo off here,hope you don't mind :)

Stability matters,can't have your scope wobbling about!

Hey!!!! mine didn't come with that light shield opposite the ep......Don't think I'll be returning it to Australia though :)

As Olly's pictures shows the black section was added to later models to improve views as it prevents stray light when looking through the eyepiece. The top should extend after releasing the two thumb screws a little. Look inside the packaging to make sure you haven't left one of the feet inside. They can get stuck in the polystyrene blocks at the bottom of the box when you lift the scope out.

With regard to opening up the scope it should just be a case of loosening the two screws holding the extending rods in place and forcing it them gently (but firmly up). You'll find there's a stiff bit at the initial bit but once past those it should slide open.

As for the feet as long as the scope is stable then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's not then probably worth speaking to the place you bought it from to see if you can get a spare or replace the scope..?

After releasing the screws. I extend the top half up by pushing upwards on the circular ends of the rods at the same time. I don't pull it from the top as I feel this might put a bit of strain on the top assembly.

Just finished assembling now. At the mo I only have the eyepieces that came with it - but thinking of smuggling a Barlow in too!

i was out at 0400 and saw Saturn with my binoculars but not the scope as I could not extend it...maybe tonight but the forecast for the next 10 days is not good

Yeah, the darn weather... But it will be worth the wait, I was suprised how well the little telescope showed saturn and jupiter, too (even though the seeing was not great).

If you do not own a barlow yet, I would suggest a tmp / hr planetary instead (from 28-35£), they work great with the f/5 aperture.

Or a £24 wide angle eyepiece and a cheaper (but achromatic) £12 barow :-)

Stunning wide angle views and planet views for that price.

My Heritage 130P when i bought it back in '09 didnt come with the "light shroud" on the secondary mirror. Its probably useless. Best to construct a shroud/dew shield yourself with a camping mat to enclose the whole of the truss part.

Archived