Narrowband

first scope

As I've mentioned in previous posts im currently saving up for a neq6 pro goto mount, all being well i should be putting in my order with FLO sometime in the next month. Now I am looking at which scope to go for with astrophotography in mind. I have the choice narrowed down to two scopes, either the skywatcher equinox 80 apo pro or the skywatcher quattro f4 imaging newtonian. From what i have read the equinox shouldnt be much trouble at all but the FLO website and many other sources say the quattro as aimed at the more experienced user. Should i forget about the quattro for now or is it doable for a newbie to use it?

The Quattro is a fine scope but for ease of use I'd have to recommend the ED80Pro.

The fast newtonian will get the job done quicker in that it'll grab photons much faster than the ED80 but the collimation side could/can be a little tricky to nail.

With the matched Field flattener/Reducer fitted the ED80 is a great imaging scope , and it's much less of a wind-catcher and gentler on the mount , especially with a guidescope and camera attached.

I have an Equinox ED80 and love it. Yes the EQ6 could easily handle either scope I would go with an ED80. Lighter and easier on the mount. More wide field so you can get longer subs without having to guide. I can get 2min subs w/o guide and a 10min polar alignment. Yes it slower but it's pretty much "plug-n-go" kind of set up. Just put it on the mount, attach the camer and you're ready to find your target and image. Just a note though - a field flattener/reducers for them can be hard to find or a little pricey. The SW x.85 one dont work with the equinox brand. They are ment for their other black&white refractors(forgot the name sorry). I have a chinese copy at x.76 that I was lucky enough to come by second hand. I know the Teleview 2008 one work with it but are more expensive. The one down side vs the newt is that you are very limited if you ever want to view with it one night. You still get awesome views with little to no aboration but the focal length is much shorter and even trying to view the bigger DSO are hard. Can't get much mag. either. But since I 90% of the time image and not view I dont miss it. Plus I am currently saving up for a Dob which would give better views than that newt anyways.

thanks for the information nmoushon perhaps I'll go the same route as you and get the ED80 and a dob but I've got plenty of time yet so I'll do a little more research and listen to what others have to say.

Archived