Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

bluetooth controlled motor focuser

Nillchill

FInally, built and programmed my arduino bluetooth controlled powered focuser.

It was surprisingly easier than I thought.

I will post pics and description later if anyone is interested.

Have developed it to control 2 focusers, so that main scope and guide scope are controlled.

Edited by Nillchill

Definitely interested - I could see myself settled back in a nice comfy seat in the conservatory once everything was setup and running, though still have to trail a long active usb for the camera ;)

I'm interested too :) My experiences with Bluetooth have not been good in the past but that was several years ago - things change :) Technology generally for the better.

OK guys, I'll get some pics together, but it will probably be tomorrow, as I'm out of the house at the moment.

Have you all used arduino boards and modules, its based around devices easily aavailable. And I am using skywatcher motor units for the drives, no need to mess with clunky brackets or drilling on the scope to mount it.

I've got bluetooth control working with my AZ EQ6-GT mount from my laptop running Cartes du Ciel, so would definitely be interested in a bluetooth controlled motor focuser. Pics and description would be great. :smiley:

I've got bluetooth control working with my AZ EQ6-GT mount from my laptop running Cartes du Ciel, so would definitely be interested in a bluetooth controlled motor focuser. Pics and description would be great. :smiley:

OK guys, I'll get some pics together, but it will probably be tomorrow, as I'm out of the house at the moment.

Have you all used arduino boards and modules, its based around devices easily aavailable. And I am using skywatcher motor units for the drives, no need to mess with clunky brackets or drilling on the scope to mount it.

I'm using an uno and stepper motor/custom bracket for made up for mine - working on the table from the control box, though not looked at the ascom driver side yet and want to add position counter LCD unit.

Gina's very aufait, and will doubtless respond very quickly!

At the moment I haven't worked with the ascom drivers, I have built this to take serial inputs from a Bluetooth remit controller, or a terminal window such as putty(serial)), the same you would use for robots, all works pretty well, next step is to utilise a video card and image recognition to make it truly auto.

Don't know why my last response posted twice?? Anyway, I used a Bluetooth RS232 adapter (bluetooth to serial) with ASCOM drivers and Cartes du Ciel following information from others who posted here on SGL for controlling my mount. I haven't used Arduino boards before, but it's something I'm interested in and have ordered the book "Getting Started with Arduino" from Waterstones.

To be honest, the arduino software has excellent help section in the software, for writing and uploading the sketches, the scripting language is very intuitive' and makes sense as you read it.