Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation 16" Dobsonian

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be really keen to hear of anyone who has bought one of these recently. If that primary mirror didn't have a rough edge on it I might actually be thinking about this scope right now instead of the SW 14" flex tube i've been saving for.

i know the very edge finish on a mirror doesn't really effect the view at the eyepiece but I expect if the edge isn't finished then possibly the mirror is poorly figured too.

I'm just abouit to drop £1300 on a 14" and really finding another £200 isn't a push if this scope was worth it.

The mirrors and mirror cells of the Revelation 16" will almost certainly be the same as the Lightbridge 16" as they are both made by GSO.

I think I linked to this review of what looks like a clone of the Revelation earlier in this thread, but here it is again, just in case :smiley:

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1817

The review dates from 2008 so the scopes have been around for a while in various guises. It's worth noting that the scope in the review was priced at $400 more than the 16" Lightbridge at that time. Looks like that situation has reversed now.

The mirrors and mirror cells of the Revelation 16" will almost certainly be the same as the Lightbridge 16" as they are both made by GSO.

I think I linked to this review of what looks like a clone of the Revelation earlier in this thread, but here it is again, just in case :smiley:

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1817

The review dates from 2008 so the scopes have been around for a while in various guises. It's worth noting that the scope in the review was priced at $400 more than the 16" Lightbridge at that time. Looks like that situation has reversed now.

You did indeed john and I'd forgotten about that so thanks again.

I'm still sort of on the fence. I've been driving at getting a 350p for so long now I think I should get it. In part because I think it's a good size for me and also because no one else seems to have one so I'd be able to do a good amount for the community by getting one and sharing a lot of information about it.

....also because no one else seems to have one so I'd be able to do a good amount for the community by getting one and sharing a lot of information about it.....

Thats a good excuse reason :grin:

Without wishing to contribute to the general misogynistic comments above, the time when women were that slender now seems like a distant memory...

450 Euro shipping! Crikey. I can get a full curtain sider of insulation brought down to Essex from Newcastle for less. He's got that round his neck. However, if he sticks by that quote, there may be some mileage in a group buy and a road trip in a hired transit to go collect them. :grin:

Russell

• 2 months later...

Just to add there is a review of the scope in the October Sky At Night magazine. Looks like they have reduced the price of the scope.

Yep - it's just £1299 in Telescope House now. I can see that swaying a lot of folks. Even if the scope has some flaws thats a heck of a lot of aperture for the money.

This price reduction makes it virtually the same price as a Flextube 350p. Given that the Flextube has a collapsible base making easier to transport and possibly a higher quality mirror set would the 2" less of aperture make that much of a difference when viewing dso's ?

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever get one of these?  What's the verdict.  Also, I wonder if there is a scan of the Sky at Night review posted online somewhere.  I am still deciding which scope to get, but this is a hell of an aperture if it is indeed any good?

A buddy of mine bought one a few months back along with couple of Ethos eyepieces, I helped him assemble it and

from what I could see mechanically it was a cracking bit of kit, collimated easily and I got the impression it was a great

buy. Anyway he took it home and waited for first light while he had an obsy built. Hes telling me he cant get

any of the eyepieces to reach focus, not enough in travel. Hes checked there are no extension tubes on the focuser.

awaiting the verdict, seems odd it cant reach focus, im unable to help him out as he lives some distance from me.

Archived