2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

Saturn 2nd May 2013

Alan

Struggling to get anything worthwhile in colour with the blue channel wrecking the image but the IR cuts through well. Best from last night but the low altitiude leaves it skimming the neighbours rooftops so not expecting too much!

C9.25 DBK21/618 SPC 900/618. AS2 & R6

post-2252-0-90057400-1367604381_thumb.pn post-2252-0-89055100-1367604399_thumb.pn

• Like 4

So there appear to be three IR pass filters at least. The Baader 685nm, which cuts only about half of the visible red part of the spectrum, the Astronomik 742nm which cuts nearly all of the visible red and the Astronomik 807nm which cuts all the visible red and a decent chunk of near red IR as well. I guess the requirement for more aperture goes up as the wavelength of the cut point increases.

James

So there appear to be three IR pass filters at least. The Baader 685nm, which cuts only about half of the visible red part of the spectrum, the Astronomik 742nm which cuts nearly all of the visible red and the Astronomik 807nm which cuts all the visible red and a decent chunk of near red IR as well. I guess the requirement for more aperture goes up as the wavelength of the cut point increases.

James

Yes James that's right apart from the light attenuation at longer wavelengths the resolving power of the telescope decreases and that's the reason I went for the 685nm which has proven to be very good for my C9.25 which is relatively small scope.

Been struggling with the conditions myself. The IR image turned out well. I really am going to have to think about getting an IR pass filter.

James

james do not bother with the baader one go for the 807 or 742 they both great

Still a good effort in the conditions Alan, with the iR showing its' capabilities. :)

Cheers Darryl .....very envious of you guys down-under re Saturn !