Banner2.jpg.35fd74882a15b2b8a1b4142f7dcc8bed.jpg

Why does my comet look like this?

DaveGarland

post-15373-0-29928700-1367603285_thumb.jpost-15373-0-29928700-1367603285_thumb.jFirst off, sorry for the awful pic! It's just orrible lol.

BUT, why does my Panstarrs look like this? :icon_confused: The stars all look the right shape but the comet looks like a double disc. Anyone else had this sort of anomaly?

Edited by DaveGarland

There's no such thing as a daft question... perhaps only the one you don't ask...

Whats it look like in a single frame...

In the past i made some animations of comet lulin stationary against a moving starfield by guiding on the comets core...

Peter..

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

Sorry for the delay, I was in the garden drinking a wine :S

Yup the single frames were a lot better. Clearly I needed a longer exposure but light pollution is a problem where I live so I tend not to bother with more than 90 seconds. Actually I'm quite impressed with how fast the comet is moving. The stacked images were only a total of 22 minutes so I'm surprised how it has moved. My scope doesn't have the option of tracking a comet, just sidereal and lunar so I've learnt a lesson. Stacking is not good for imaging comets (for me). Life's interesting isn't it :)

post-15373-136761761956_thumb.jpg

I haven't imaged a comet since Holmes but I vaguely remember that in DSS you can stack based on the comet rather than the stars. You end up with star trails but a nice image of the comet. :)

I haven't imaged a comet since Holmes but I vaguely remember that in DSS you can stack based on the comet rather than the stars. You end up with star trails but a nice image of the comet. :)

Indeed you can.... Haven't used it for ages but IIRC you manually select the comets core...

For comet tracked shots I used to let the mount track at sidereal rate but autoguide on the comets core.. the result is the comet stays in the same place in the frame and the background stars move...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Sam I'll have a look at that. Im away for the weekend but that's something for me to do on Monday.