Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser Collimators. Howie Glatter or HoTech SCA?

What I like about the Glatter one is the ability to add the holographic attachments which project different patterns of light across the optics. One or two SGL members have recently bought one so hopefully they'll be able to provide some feedback.

G12,

I have just got a Hotech SCA and that I believe is good enough for almost all forms of collimation though I have yet to use it, it looks very good quality indeed with a nice tight laser beam. I think the Galtter is just going to take things to a slightly different level, this is really the Rolls Royce so to speak. I am sure it is absolutely top draw but it is not going to be cheap of that I am sure. I thought very long and hard about this, though being able to get one while I am here was also in the mix. I bought the Hotech and I like quality gear, I think you will be happy with this choice and you will no doubt still have some money in your pocket.

Hope this help you.

Alan

Now I feel a bit of an onion I just looked at the links and see the Glatter is less money. These are meant to be the best Lasers and as that is what you are checking by I guess the choice is yours. I don' know what to say now.

Alan

Ant (the other one) - Be aware that in most cases the quality of focusers. especially rack and pinion types that are common on most of the scopes sold today (like mine and yours) have enough play in their operation to make a laser collimator all but useless. See the "Note 2" in the page you posted a link to (HoTech). Very rarely will you see such an honest warning like this. Although using one on your scope may get you FAIRLY collimated, its accuracy would be no better than using a focuser sight tube cap.

Sorry to burst your bubble (and a lot of other peoples') but unless you have a high quality focusser, laser collimators can't get you any closer than a properly centered focuser tube cap :mad: I'm shocked that the above company is honest enough to mention this fact - which you probably missed.

It might be no better than using a sight tube collimation if you use a stock focuser (like I still do) but what it does, with the right replacement knobs on the secondary, is allow you to get pretty accurate collimation in pitch darkness.

Ant - OK, as long as you know that you may only get to about 85-95% of a near perfect collimation - which is plenty good even for imaging. I made a point of making sure you knew what you were up against since lots of beginners, as well as experienced observers, end up thinking they could only get a "perfect" colimation with a laser and end up wasting money in the end.

I know how easily frustrated you get when doing a collimation so in this case (if you can afford it) you'll get your money's worth. :rolleyes:

BTW, check out your blog entry (3 entries before the last for a little laugh (though it's really not that funny :Envy:

Stargazer - I agree, especially with all your cloudy nights - better being prepared for that mad rush out with the scope during those very short cloudless periods :grin: And then you trip on the cat or dog on the way out and it's back to square one :mad:

Archived