Which one within this range?

I'm hunting for a wide-field 2" eyepiece that sits between 12mm and 20mm. Budget up to £150.

I came across the 14mm Explore Scientific 82-degree of this range, but most of them are 1.25".

There's also the 18mm 2" http://www.explorescientific.de/explore-scientific-82deg-eyepiece-18mm-p-22951.html

The Baader Hyperion 17mm is also on the list. But would like to explore more options first.

You don't really need the 2" format to give even an 82 degree apparent field of view in that range of focal lengths which is why most are 1.25". Some folks fit a 2" adapter permanently to the eyepiece and, voila, you have a 2" fitting eyepiece :smiley:

My suggestion would be another 1.25" eyepiece, the Skywatcher Nirvana 16mm. It's a really nice 82 degree eyepiece with very close to Nagler levels of performance. I used to have one when I had a 200P and it gave really lovely views.

Thanks, John. It's another option to consider. How about the Skywatcher Panorama 15mm in comparison?

I've not used a Panorama I'm afraid.

When I had my 16mm Nirvana (which is the same eyepiece as the William Optics UWAN) I upgraded to a 16mm Nagler. When comparing the two I could see virtually no differences much of the time despite the additional cost of the Nagler. The Nirvana has a wee bit more eye relief than the Nagler as well.

The build quality of the Nirvana's and UWAN's is really good as well and the twist up eye cup is nicely executed. Pity there are not more in the range.

I have the 2" 18mm ES 82o and it's lovely!

I'm not sure of your reasoning for wanting the 2" EP, but mine was to drop down from a 32mm Panaview with out changing over to 1.25".

Far from not being disappointed, I've been delighted and I haven't yet really had a crystal-clear/transparent night to give it a full work out.

Cheers

I found the ES 18mm 82 had its own groove it wants you to work in. Once you figure out how to use it well it's a cracking eyepiece. It has tight eye relief but the top of the EP sits well against the shape of your face and is cleverly coated in rubber so it's never cold.

I still have the Meade 14mm UWA and I know they are not the same as ExSc but they also are not going to be that different. This is a fine eyepiece, I use it in my top mounted scope a great deal because of its size. As the Meade is not the same now I cannot say if the quality is the same but Telescope House have these at 116 pounds. The ExSc is also going to be very good but may be more difficult to get hold of.

Alan

Just a small addition to my post, as said the Meades are not quite the same now as the one I have but I bought the 5.5mm from the new series and found that to a very good eyepiece. That suggests to me that the quality is still there. If it is anything to go by I paid about 170 pounds for my Meade 14mm so it gives you some idea how good a buy the mew one is if it is anything like the old. The boxes are not as bomb proof would be my first observation.

The WO 16mm is also so very well regarded on site and should not be overlooked.

Alan

Archived