SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Question regarding EQ3/2 on HEQ5 legs

Hi,

I recently got my hands on a second hand EQ3/2 with motors mounted on HEQ5 steel tubular legs. My Skymax 127 feels solid and tracks with ease even with my Canon 600d connected to it. My question is, if I ever decide to upgrade to say the Skymax 150 or even 180 would this setup be able to handle it or is the maximum weight determined by the EQ3/2 head rather than the steel legs?

My interest lies in lunar/planetary AP so I'm just curious how much more I could add to this setup before say having to upgrade the mount to an HEQ5 or even an EQ6 pro.

No plans to upgrade yet but would be good to know for the future.

Many Thanks

Al

I've been tempted to do this mod to mine, but then I keep thinking I should just make a pier instead :)

It's the mount rather than the tripod that will be the limiting factor I think. If you bought a much larger scope then you'd need a heavier duty mount.

James

Archived