Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn comparison

si@nite

Its intresting to see a comparison from last year to this years apparition how the rings have opened up, ive used one of my better images from last year & the best i can manage so far this year, but the seeing & alt was better last year which shows in the 2012 shot!

post-16599-0-27574900-1367520758_thumb.p

There certainly is a big difference in the level of detail due to the height in our skies. I do like to see Saturn with the rings wider.

Very interesting comparison Simon. Nice images.

Fantastic shot that from last year Simon, oh for seeing like that - this years shows all the promise, just needs the upper atmosphere to play ball or a trip down south ;)

How far south Jake ( DOWN UNDER ) :grin:

Nice comparison of your own James!

Thanks Michael.

Very nice set of Saturns from James as well - one thing that is better this year is being able to glimpse the north polar region and hexagon, which coupled with the recent images back from Cassini is quite amazing!

Si - I was doing the same thing the other day after being so surprised at the visual view at the weekend compared to last year. It is great to see the rings so "open" - I think I had only just got my first scope last time they were this open (2006 apparently). I certainly don't recall it looking like it does this year. Mind you I was just completely blown away by Saturn in general back then so wasn't really taking it all in :D

PS - Your 2012 image is a peach!!

Hi Chris, i know what you mean theres something speicial about seeing Saturn, its the same buzz everytime for me too, just a pity shes getting lower & lower over the next few years, its difficult enough now from my location so could be the last time for me for a while!

Well, if we can actually see the planet at all from the UK the rings should continue to open up until late 2017. They're at about 18 degrees to us now, but reach almost 27 degrees by November 2017.

James

Well, if we can actually see the planet at all from the UK the rings should continue to open up until late 2017. They're at about 18 degrees to us now, but reach almost 27 degrees by November 2017.

James

Archived