Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

long_arms

1st M51. Unguided.

Hello,

I still want to add more frames to reduce noise and get some fainter detail but I'm happy so far.

I have drift aligned with dslr up to 2 minutes until its spot on. Balance seems good but I'm still getting trailing stars!

Thrown out probably 2/3rds of frames. Some are clearly Periodic error but I can't explain the trailing in other directions :-( Is it because its pointing near the zenith so I need to adjust balance differently? Very frustrating anyhow.

70 x 1 mins with around 50 darks and flats taken over 2 nights.

Unmodded 350d at prime focus of 200p with the standard heq5 (one with no guide port).

Quite heavily cropped. I am extremely new to this (2nd attempt at a galaxy) so my processing was rushed...still not sure how to go about it. Suggestions for improvement :smiley: ?

post-26081-0-24523600-1367519776_thumb.p

Dan

Edited by long_arms

a great shot there Dan....more subs will improve your signal and allow heavier processing

I think that is a great image and all the better for the limitations of sub length and in-modded dslr

Nice image. I find if a set the mount up a little out of balance using the counter weights it seems to help the trailing when objects are high up. I certainly think one balance set up doesn't suit all locations in the sky.