SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1st M51. Unguided.

long_arms

Hello,

I still want to add more frames to reduce noise and get some fainter detail but I'm happy so far.

I have drift aligned with dslr up to 2 minutes until its spot on. Balance seems good but I'm still getting trailing stars!

Thrown out probably 2/3rds of frames. Some are clearly Periodic error but I can't explain the trailing in other directions :-( Is it because its pointing near the zenith so I need to adjust balance differently? Very frustrating anyhow.

70 x 1 mins with around 50 darks and flats taken over 2 nights.

Unmodded 350d at prime focus of 200p with the standard heq5 (one with no guide port).

Quite heavily cropped. I am extremely new to this (2nd attempt at a galaxy) so my processing was rushed...still not sure how to go about it. Suggestions for improvement :smiley: ?

post-26081-0-24523600-1367519776_thumb.p

Dan

Nice image. I find if a set the mount up a little out of balance using the counter weights it seems to help the trailing when objects are high up. I certainly think one balance set up doesn't suit all locations in the sky.

Archived