Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RACI crosshair rotation

I took delivery of a RACI today and its now mounted on my dob waiting to be used.

I rotated the finderscope in its bracket to orient in the same line as the eyepiece and when looking through it its clear that up, down left and right dont match the orientation of the cross hairs. Is there an easy way to rotate the crosshairs in the eyepiece element? If I could align them to the copes movement it'd be simpler in the finder to understand what up on the scope translates to in terms of up on the crosshairs.

I dont honestly think its going to cause me any issue as it currently is just wondering if this is something thats configurable was all.

Mine is just the same. I took the eyepiece off the diagonal and had a peek at the cross hairs but they are glued to a ring that screws into the bottom of the eyepiece section. I guess you could loosen and rotate that ring to rotate the cross hairs but it may double as a lens retaining ring, possibly.

Anyway I decided to leave well alone and live with the orientation of the X :smiley:

• Like 1

I have the 9 x 50 Skywatcher version and I have just had a look at the cross hair orientation.

The eyepiece will turn in the diagonal and I presume you could back it off to get the cross hairs vertical - and perhaps pack the thread with some cotton thread and tighten it back up. It would be trial and error!!.

Mine seems to be vertical.

The other thing I have done is to slightly slacken off the diagonal from the tube, Mark a reference point with a sliver of self adhesive label and then turn the whole diagonal in either side of the mark to get the eyepiece into a comfortable position when using my equatorial mount. - It doesn't seem to effect focus very much.

• 9 years later...