SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Equatorial Platforms for dobsonains

I'm thinking about getting an equatorial platform to use with my Orion Optics 12" F/5.3 dobsonian when viewing the moon and planets at high powers.

I'd be very interested to hear any feedback from forum members who use one of these cunning devices with their scopes. I'm particularly interested in how complex they are to setup and use and also how accurately they need to be aligned and levelled to be effective.

Thanks in advance :smiley:

For visual observation, you just place the base and plate together, point it roughly to the north, and that's it ;-) (if the motor's still attached, but that's done easily too).

Of course the better you align things, the longer the object you observe stay in the view.

As they start around 250€ it's a great addition to a dobsonian.

For visual observation, you just place the base and plate together, point it roughly to the north, and that's it ;-) (if the motor's still attached, but that's done easily too).

Of course the better you align things, the longer the object you observe stay in the view.

As they start around 250€ it's a great addition to a dobsonian.

Thanks for that feedback :smiley:

Do you have any recommendations on makers of these platforms around the budget you stated ?

Thanks.

I got mine for my birthday, it's from Astro Optik Martini; It now costs about 260€ plus shipping (back then it was much cheaper) and the wood is untreated. The feedback was a bit sparse especially regarding latitude customization but perhaps the vendor was just busy at the time (as they seem to have a great reputation).

Teleskop Express sells platforms for 335€ which seem a bit lighter, are already treated and maybe from mf-dobson.

If you want a high precision platform there are a few with two motors and more rigid (aluminum) frames, and seem to be well suited for some basic astro photography.

Maybe someone from your area/country can give you better advice for platforms locally available. To be honest I have not used mine as much as I intended (another thing to transport), but I am glad I have it when I need it. It's also great to show others objects without having to locate it again once it's out of the field of view.

I bought mine from TS http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5419_Dobsonian-EQ-platform-for-Dobson-Teleskopes-to-60kg---45--to-55--latitude.html which should carry your 12" easily, it comes pretty much ready to go, just fit the supplied motor (two screws). The motor is a basic EQ1/2 design with a speed controller which you set at a very slow speed. It keeps the target in the eyepiece for a hour at a time, the more accurately you North align it the steadier the object will be and for longer.

I bought mine from UK equatorial platforms which are dearer. I don't know if they're any better, at the time I wasn't aware of other local suppliers.

As mentioned you don't need to spend too much time accurately aligning to north for visual use, usually you can just plonk it down in that direction and it will suffice for the time you're watching a particular planet. The base needs to be placed on fairly level ground and I dont think I'd want one that didn't have a speed adjuster.

If you do want to spend a bit more time accurately aligning I can point you to a link that shows you a fairly easy way to do it.

They're a very useful aid to dob owners, I use mine nearly all the time. :smiley:

@Richard:

Could you share the link? Wouldn't hurt to learn a trick or two ;-)

http://www.astrosurf.com/aheijkoop/Equipment/EqPlatfor2.htm

Go to the very bottom bit on polar alignment.

basically you set the platform up pointing north as well as you can. Then point the scope at Polaris and lock it fairly tightly so it doesn't move. Then lift the platform carefully to the end of the tracking run. As Polaris is relatively stationary over such a small time period, if you're aligned on the NCP correctly it will still be in the centre of the eyepiece at the end of the tracking run. If its moved above or below you're not facing north and need to turn the base either clockwise or anti clockwise to correct it. If Polaris has moved to the right or left you need to adjust your latitude slightly by lifting or lowering the south foot.

In practice you don't need to be far out for it not to appear in the eyepiece so you might need to use the finder. Also if you use the eyepiece view you need to take account that its reversed. So if it looks as if Polaris has moved above its really moved below. I used my Telrad at first so it was the correct way up.

its very accurate and is quite easy once you get familiar with which way to adjust and by how much. The only thing that can then be out is the speed which is easy to adjust by drift aligning if you want to.

the reason I do it is because I use the platform at the same time as my push to finding system, (nexus and sky safari). In sky safari the equatorial platform setting effectively turns the sky off and relies on the platform to turn accurately. So if I don't accurately align the platform, the accuracy of my push to finder will deteriorate gradually during the tracking run. So I've mastered setting the platform up accurately because of this.

If I wasn't using the nexus I probably wouldn't bother with it. Once you've set the latitude correctly and you're using it on a fairly level surface, pointing roughly north is fine. I did quite enjoy tinkering with it the first time to see how accurate I could get it.

Thank you for the link and the explanation!

Yes, I don't require any high level accuracy, but it would be nice to see what can be done, and the chart/guide is much easier then trial and error (or hard thinking ;-) )

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this. I've decided to purchase a platform which was made by Equatorial Platforms UK - their Watch House Equatorial Platform, standard sized model. I'll post some feedback on this once I've got it up and running and I've had a chance to get to grips with it :smiley:

Here is a link to the manufacturer in case anyone is interested:

http://www.equatorial-platforms-uk.co.uk/home

hi John

I made my own (I bet you'd have guessed that!) and I only really use it with my 6" f11. that particular scope is quite spindly and takes a little while to settle (a second or two only) but I found that frustrating. with the platform it's a dream to use and tracks well even with rough alignment by eye. if I try a bit harder it gets better. I need to improve the way the feet on mine adjust as I would prefer to do it from above so to speak. that's another future mod.

I find that my 16" and my 12" f4 can easily be moved at high power (the former easier than the latter as it has a longer tube and therefore more leverage on the fulcrum) so I doubt I;ll make a platform for them but you never know.

good luck with yours matey - hope it's what you expect, sure it will be.

Well done Shane :smiley:

I know your DIY skills are high but your maths must be good too - calculating the angles etc seems to be pretty complex from what I've read.

it's actually a lot easier than it seems once you understand the process. here's my thread - I made some mistakes but got there in the end.

still using it unchanged since I made it over two years ago.

here's a pic

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=34815

I believe that Mike73 purchased one of these from Equatorial Platforms UK to facilitate his drawing sessions. He was very positive about the consultation and the product, however he has not contributed for some time on SGL?

My friend let me borrow his watchouse platform john, I used it with my old OO dob and they made a superb combination.A good platform makes observing at high powers so much more pleasurable you wont be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived