2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

Cor caroli etc.

jason.p

This was my fourth night in a row where I've been searching in vain for Panstarrs. I realised I was wasting good observing time so I went over to Cor caroli. I moved down from the plough handle to Cor caroli (another nice double for my collection) then back up and found M94 fairly quickly. Then moved Eastward to try for the Sunflower (M63). I didn't realise it was so close to M94 and spent some time searching having passed right over it. I then retraced my steps and dropped right on it. It's a nice eliptical blob, so I knew it wasn't M94 again, then I just found them both almost in the same Fov (26mm).

My next target in the vicinty was M3. I went back to Cor caroli then "down" towards Arcturus and in amongst a fairly "busy" background

there was a faint fuzzy. It appeared to be in about the right place, but I'm not 100%. I'll go back and check sometime.

Feeling I was on a bit of a roll I thought I'd have a go at the Virgo galaxies. Starting at Vindemiatrix I moved across towards Denebola and got thoroughly confused. I found about 8, but had no idea which ones they were. Next time I'll have a plan and maybe use the 32mm.

I finished off the session with Saturn, which is always worth a look.

I'd only gone out for half an hour. Two hours later.....:blink:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Nice report, Jason. I remember getting confused in Virgo the first couple of times. I now work through the area in a more methodical way in order to identify what I have seen. Having said that, I just love browsing the area, noting the different shapes of galaxies, and just the sheer fun of having 8 galaxies in one FOV at times. Not identifying them does not make them any less wonderful.

• Like 1

Enjoyable read.

It's worth doing a little research into galaxies in that area. There are so many to view between Draco in the North, through Ursa Major, Canes V, Coma B, Leo and finally into Virgo.

M106, NGC 4449 (an irregular) and NGC 4631 (the Whale galaxy) are three more good Canes Venatici targets.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Lovely report,M3 is quite easy to locate, it's half way between Cor Corioli and Arcturus .

M53 sits next to alpha at the corner of C.Bernices, another compact globular. There are a host of galaxies here and kicking off from Canes Venatici, well placed at the moment

in clear

skies,

Nick.

• Like 1

Lovely report, Jason and an impressive night's viewing. I also find the Virgo Galaxy Cluster a bit confusing and even with the back page of the S&T atlas on my lap I'm still unable to really name what I'm observing. I think this is one of those areas that only really get to be understand after a good few seasons. Anyway, I look forward to another report soon. Thank you.

• Like 1