SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remote obsy monitor

Davey-T

For quite a while I've had two XP Pro laptops running teamviewer , one in the obsy and one indoors just monitoring things.

Now one XP laptop has died and rather than commit a laptop to replace it I was wondering if some sort of "cheap" Pad device could be used instead.

I have tried my Win 7 laptop but it doesn't want to play nicely and anyway I'd rather not use it.

Dave

Shouldn't be a problem remote accessing the XP machine from the Win7 machine via remote desktop connection. IMO there is no real reason to use VNC or teamviewr as these are aimed at remote support where the PC being accessed still needs to display the desktop or watch what the technician is doing. As you are taking control of the PC in the observatory, RDC is a better option

Peter,

How do you run team viewer from your smartphone/tablet? I have a laptop in the obs and was monitoring from a lap top inside using teamviewer and mini power link adapters through the mains. I would like to access from my iPad though, are you using teamviewer through the Internet?

John

Shouldn't be a problem remote accessing the XP machine from the Win7 machine via remote desktop connection. IMO there is no real reason to use VNC or teamviewr as these are aimed at remote support where the PC being accessed still needs to display the desktop or watch what the technician is doing. As you are taking control of the PC in the observatory, RDC is a better option

Tried RDC once and couldn't get it to work with Win7 home premium, think it wanted Win upgrade to more expensive version.

Don't need to make any remote adjustments, just monitoring

Dave

My obs is connected with network over mains adaptors to my router and the smartphone and tablet connect using wireless... I used fixed IP adresses and connect over the local network rather than using the internet and teamviewer servers...

Peter...

Ahh, just got it. Downloaded to iPad and iPhone and both now working over the Internet I think. The only thing I would say is it does seem to run a bit slow though so i will need to check it when guiding etc. Ideally I suppose using wifi would be best.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

John

So what's the cheapest pad thingy that will work bearing in mind this is all I want it to do.

Dave

I don't think the spec needs to be that high... although it would be nice for someone to confirm it...

Looking at the Teamviewer site they now have an app for controlling Samsung tabs and phones as well...

Peter...

Looking at a Gemini joytab 7, silly name but less than £100.00. uses Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich, another silly name, will this work?

Also have old IPhone would that work? might need magnifying glass to see it though with my eyesight :)

Dave

Archived