Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Here's a quick couple of WIP projects i have on the go. The NAN and NGC 7822. Just Ha for now, still need to capture the OIII.
The NAN one is a bit of a long-running saga for me. I first tried to image it on my 2nd light of the newly-modded D5300 and Ha filter back in early October. Got a small number of cloud-affected subs before the clouds rolled in for good. Then tried again in mid November and the same thing happened again. It's been obscured for me since, due to the neighbour's house, but it's now visible again (just) although it's very low on the horizon and i need to stay up Very late to get it, so i tried yet again in late March and did get a decent amount of subs this time, although i've now realised that imaging at super low altitudes is not something i plan on ever doing again, as the guiding is not great and image quality is nowhere near as good as at higher altitudes. Things did improve once it got over 20 degrees, but it still wasn't brilliant tbh.
As for NGC 7822, i captured this one just last night, April 5, between midnight and 3 am. Was in bed for 4:30 then up again for work at 7:15, so, err, today was fun, lol. When i realised it was going to be clear i frantically went on to DSO-Browser to try and find an Ha-friendly target, as there aren't many about these days, and the moon was coming up shortly after 01:00, so i was glad i discovered this one in the end. Hopefully it has enough OIII to make a good Bi-Colour image. I have until the end of the month to try and get it, fingers crossed.
NAN: a little over 7 hrs in total. 7 x 480s, 6 x 1200, 13 x 1200. Stacked them all in APP using the 'Quality' setting.
NGC 7822: 3 hrs in total. 9 x 1200s. Also stacked in APP using the 'Quality' setting.
No real processing done on either, aside from a stretch and gradient reduction (for NGC 7822). I'll update the thread if i manage to get the OIII for either in time.
This HA data was taken over 3 nights. Finally figured out SGPRO and was able to perform meridian flips and got a full nights data and then small amount from the other 2. Processed in Pixinsight and finished up in photoshop. I tried to keep the processing simple. I will continue to gather OIII and SII data on this target. I actually think this may be the highest integration time on a target i have since i started imaging. Should be a lot easier with the Mach1 and its simple automation features that i wasn't used to with my CGEM DX.
To me this target resembles a skull looking to the left and down, screaming, lol.
29 x 1200s images 9 hours 40 mins of data with all calib files except for flats, i have to redo those.
This image, old as it may be now, is all I have achieved with the APM rig due to lack of time sleep really, looking after a baby.....
I though I'd put it up here since team Les Granges have started work on this beautiful object. They have such a grand view of it, and all I could frame was the centre really.
NGC 7822 with APM 105 an editing tweak
Comet C/2011 L4 PanSTARRS from Lindean near Selkirk on Saturday 20th April.
As Comet PanSTARRS slowly fades it is now possible to get more detail within nucleus as in this image tracking on the comet itself.
Had the telescope been guiding on the stars at sidereal rate as usual then the stars would be round but the comet would leave a trail the same length as any star trails in this image, so in this 25min exposure the comet has moved the apparent length of the star trails.
5" Takahashi Refractor (guiding on comet nucleus)
x5 300sec exposure with extender.
No Flat Frames
No Dark Frames
(Quick & Dirty)
C2011 L4 PanSTARRS - Nucleus Of A Comet by mikeyscope, on Flickr