SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M101 - Pinwheel Galaxy - LRGBHa - 30/4/13

Gina

Finally got the Lodestar guide camera working properly yesterday and managed an overnight imaging run last night.

Scope - SW MN190

Camera - Atik 314L+

Filters Baader LRGB and Astrodon 5nm Ha

Subs :-

Luminance - 10x10m 1x1 - total 100m

RGB - 10x3m binned 2x2 each - 30m each

Ha - 2x5m + 3x15m + 1x30m (then it got light) - total 85m

Guiding - OAG with Lodestar and PHD

Stacked in DSS, aligned in RegiStar, combined and further processed in PhotoShop CS5, cropped to remove framing errors and saved in PNG format.

post-13131-0-76082600-1367406361_thumb.p

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, Gina. Is that an aeroplane trying to spoil the image across the top? I reckon they should be banned at night :)

James

Thank you James :) Probably was an aeroplane - we do get them over here.

That's very nice, Gina. Did you stay up all night to do it or do you have some automatic imaging software? I notice that you used PHD to guide, have you got the hang of the AStro-Art guiding yet? The reason I ask is that I cannot always trust PHD not to crash the computer in the middle of a session....

Chris

Great effort G. Like the impact of the Ha data. Getting all advanced now aren't you - LRGBHa, with RGB binned. Are you in bed yet (8pm)? I've had two nights with 3 hours sleep (good job the moon came up) and am actually glad it's cloudy tonight. Doubt I'll get to process anything until the weekend, and even then I doubt I'll generate anything as good as this.

Hoping they haven't noticed my attention span in work today.... Looking forward to becoming nocturnal in retirement.

That's a great image Gina, not going to post mine now :-(, seriously though i only have 18 x 300 sec subs so far.

Very nice, Gina. Is that an aeroplane trying to spoil the image across the top? I reckon they should be banned at night :)

James

I'm not sure if that's an aeroplane, looks like it could have been a sat, not sure if it's mt monitor setting but there are a couple of green lines left top middle & a red line top left, is this where DSS stacks the channels ? im not picking fault Gina quite the contrary but i'd like to know what to be careful of when i get a ccd & start RGB DSOing, im assuming it's where the RGB subs are stacked ?

I wonder if it might be possible to get DSS to remove it, assuming it's only in the one frame.

James

That's the crux of the problem - it's in several frames and these are long subs. That's the only trouble with using a small number of lopng exposures.

Gina that is a fantastic image the Ha really shows nicely and great detail right into the core.As for the sat trails AA has a very simple tool to remove such lines look in filters,cosmetic remove line

That's very nice, Gina. Did you stay up all night to do it or do you have some automatic imaging software? I notice that you used PHD to guide, have you got the hang of the AStro-Art guiding yet? The reason I ask is that I cannot always trust PHD not to crash the computer in the middle of a session....

Chris

Thank you Chris :) I use Artemis Capture with it's sequencer to automate imaging. I rely on parfocality of the Baader LRGB filters so I took LRGB without changing focus. I have had PHD cause a crash in the past but I was lucky last night. I took a couple of hours sleep or so from midnight to 2am when a meridian flip was needed due to collision between scope and pier. By this time I had collected 10 LRGB sequences which I thought was aduquate and I wanted to get some Ha before dawn. So I reset the mount and slewed to a bright star and refocussed for Ha (the Astrodon NB filters are not parfocal with the Baader LRGB) then used AstroTortilla to get back on target. Tests showed I needed long exposures to capture enough Ha eventually ending up with half hour subs. I went to bed again about 3am leaving the system taking 30m Ha subs. Unfortunately, it got light rather earlier than I thought. Still, it turned out to be sufficient Ha to do what I wanted.

No I haven't got to grips with AA yet.

Chris

Thank you Chris :) I use Artemis Capture with it's sequencer to automate imaging. I rely on parfocality of the Baader LRGB filters so I took LRGB without changing focus. I have had PHD cause a crash in the past but I was lucky last night. I took a couple of hours sleep or so from midnight to 2am when a meridian flip was needed due to collision between scope and pier. By this time I had collected 10 LRGB sequences which I thought was aduquate and I wanted to get some Ha before dawn. So I reset the mount and slewed to a bright star and refocussed for Ha (the Astrodon NB filters are not parfocal with the Baader LRGB) then used AstroTortilla to get back on target. Tests showed I needed long exposures to capture enough Ha eventually ending up with half hour subs. I went to bed again about 3am leaving the system taking 30m Ha subs. Unfortunately, it got light rather earlier than I thought. Still, it turned out to be sufficient Ha to do what I wanted.

No I haven't got to grips with AA yet.

Gina that is a fantastic image the Ha really shows nicely and great detail right into the core.As for the sat trails AA has a very simple tool to remove such lines look in filters,cosmetic remove line

Thank you Andy :) I'm hoping to get into AA shortly.

Thank you Andy :) I'm hoping to get into AA shortly.

Very nice use of the Ha.

Why didn't you stick with Baader for the narrowband filters?

Thank you :) I read that the Astrodon NB filters were better - had this strange idea of going for the best :D

Archived