Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what will panstarrs look like now in an 8 inch dob?

i tried for ages last night but couldnt seem to find it. Was looking in the area above cassiopeia, but dont know if i overlooked it and mistook it for a star. Will it still have any tail and what kind of magnitude is it now.

Thanks

ian

I've observed it over the last few clear nights with my 12" scope. When you first find it it looks like a small fuzzy spot with a condensed center. As you examine it further and use a bit of averted vision (looking to one side rather than directly at it) you can make out a faint fan-like tail. It's not a bright object now - around 7th magnitude. I usually use a wide angle eyepiece to find it and then apply a little more magnification - say around 50x, to darken the background sky a bit.

The finder charts for the comet are pretty accurate re: it's position I'd say. I'm using this one at the moment:

http://freestarchart...rent-events/156

But the comet will soon be off the chart so I'll need to find another.

The comet was just on the fringe of naked eye visibility and sported a really strongly defined tail with 10x50 binoculars when I first saw it quite a few weeks back but it's somewhat dimmer and less spectacular now.

Well worth searching out though.

I agree with John. it's worth a look. It is really very dim now vs. previously. the view also depends how dark you sky is. for me it's in the sky that points towards Manchester so not good. from a darker site, I'd expect it to be a lot better.

I am not sure about in an 8 inch Dob but I am sure I found it last night with my 15 x 70 binoculars on a monopod.I have been following its progress and it was where I expected it to be. Very faint with nucleus dimmer than some nearby stars but a bigger point of light with the tail wide and very dim. I have got my doubts now but last night I was sure I had seen it. I hope I wasn't looking at something else in that area! I will have another look tonight. Good luck in your search

James

Yes it's getting much fainter now but I think you will be able to see it in a 8" Dob. Last time I saw it about a week ago the nucleus was identifable as a comet but the tail which I had seen previously was hardly in evidence.

Simon

I spent a good 45 minutes in the garden looking for it through binoculars (10 x 50) up and to the right above the central star in the W of Cassiopeia. I think I got it as a very faint grey smugde,and ony then with averted vision.Still,at least it is mild where we are tonight and I have a hedgehog for company. :kiss:

Archived