SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn the jewel in the crown

Hi Guy's just thought i'd share this.. ( if anyone's interested lol), Got in from work at 10pm the viewing looked good so i got my 200P newt out for some viewing of Saturn. Could make out the Cassini division without any problem with the rings being well presented, I also could see the moons Titan and Rhea.. But that's about it, The temp dropped down to 2 degrees and i got all dew'd up so at 1am thought i'd call it a night. Still it was worth it Saturn is a must at any time but more so at the moment being at opposition, Will try again tonight with the C11 as i have two days off :smiley:

Just captured a bunch of 5 minute AVI's of the jewel . . . 26 in all . . . and the seeing was really good tonight . . . :laugh:

Fingers crossed for some cracking pics , PIPP is sorting them now ready for a solid processing day tomorrow . . . :p

I probably ought to have persisted, but I found the conditions were pretty rubbish where I am (SE London) and so I packed up before midnight. Saturn's rings were nice and bright, but the Cassini division eluded me as the image wobbled around.

I packed up at a similar time, it was getting better up until then but after that time Saturn passes above another house and goes mushy again so not much to be gained.

Stu

I have already had my first view of Saturn with a meade 16" mak cass, but it was not at its best so this weekend at lincoln star party i plan on getting the 180 mak well focused on it, might try some imaging

I had some great views of Saturn last night with my 12" dob. The Crepe ring was visible as well as the A + B rings. The Cassini DIvision was sharply etched right around the ring system. The tiny icy moon Enceledus was also visible despite being quite close to Saturn last night, along with 4 other moons. The main cloud belt around the planet seemed more contrasty than I've seen for a while too. I just wish the planet was higher in the sky - the rings are beautifully presented right now but I'm sure we are loosing some clarity and definition due to Saturns relatively low altitude and the amount of atmosphere we have to view it through.

Had similar views on Monday night into Tuesday, Obvious Cassini, 5 moons, shadow of the rings on the planet surface, the view looked almost 3D. Best view of Saturn I've had in the few years I've been in the hobby :)

Sounds good Vince. Had some good views myself, seeing not brilliant but Cassini division popping into view quite frequently.

Stu

Was hoping for some good views tonight in the C11, But its not looking promising Stu, Got a load of cloud here at the mo :sad:

Had similar views on Monday night into Tuesday, Obvious Cassini, 5 moons, shadow of the rings on the planet surface, the view looked almost 3D. Best view of Saturn I've had in the few years I've been in the hobby :)

I here the shadow isn't easy to spot, But you certainly have the aperture Lorne, And Saturn is presenting itself pretty nicely at the mo, Great stuff Lorne :smiley:

Hey John i hear that Mimas is pretty hard to see did you manage to get that?, Obviously it would show up if imaging its pretty close the the rings at the mo. I'm hoping to catch it in my C11 :tongue:

Archived